Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Real time custom gun assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Real time custom gun assembly

I have a question for all you gunsmiths out there. How long does it take to assemble and chamber a custom rifle once you have all the components ?
Thanks Brent
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Real time custom gun assembly

Most smiths charge about $500 to true the action and thread and chamber a barrel. If you assume that they work on $75-100/hour shop rate (pretty common rates) it should take them between 5 and 7 hours.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

I wasn't sure, buts that about what I figured too. Thanks

On a side note.......then why the heck does it take " my smith" 2 yrs to complete my build when he's had all the components for we'll over a year and my deposit (75%) for almost 2 yrs.

I know, I know..........but still, it's frustrating. I guess if I get a good product, it'll be worth the wait.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

Probably should not let this out, but I had McWhorter build me a rifle during an apparent slack period and had it at my dealer nine days from the time I placed the order. Obviously all materials were on hand, but they still had to do some machining, assemble, cerakote the action and paint the stock. Makes you wonder about some of the excuses some gunsmiths come up with.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
I have a question for all you gunsmiths out there. How long does it take to assemble and chamber a custom rifle once you have all the components ?
Thanks Brent
Everyone will probably come up with a different time line because of the way they do business.

Actual work time also depends on the equipment each one has, the amount of work they have,
the requirements of the job and the conditions of the supplied parts.

If nothing requires fixing, changing and everything fits perfect. (Which is almost never) actual
machine time is 8 to 10 hours, assembly and testing is another 4 or 5 hours.

So ultimately 2 weeks is possible or less if the smith only works on your rifle (Most have many
going at the same time).

I would have to say that 3 months should be max. years to build is ridiculous.

2+ years is absurd

The main piece of advice I would give anyone is to never pay 100% of the money up front (It
removes any incentive to finish on time). Cover the key components (barrel, stock, trigger and
muzzle break. and pay the labor when you pick the rifle up.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

It sounds like his way of saying he doesn't want your business ?

Why does a barrel maker take 16 weeks to make a barrel and another 8 weeks to fit it to your action ? Of course, neither process takes that long. There is probably barely an hour in the making of a barrel including lapping when you figure it sells for $350 including material. Cutting the shoulder back and adjusting the thread diameter can't be more than a couple of hours either.

No what is happening is that there are a gazillion people who's jobs are prioritized over yours and yours stays on the shelf collecting dust.

If I were you, I would take a drive and go get your components and money back, if the parts have not already been sold to someone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
I wasn't sure, buts that about what I figured too. Thanks

On a side note.......then why the heck does it take " my smith" 2 yrs to complete my build when he's had all the components for we'll over a year and my deposit (75%) for almost 2 yrs.

I know, I know..........but still, it's frustrating. I guess if I get a good product, it'll be worth the wait.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I know my project got put on the shelf and brushed off for more important projects. Personally I wouldn't even have a problem with it taking a year or a little longer, but when I was originally told 6-8 month......that's where my frustration peaks. It's just plain lying to get business.

I've thought about getting my components back, but he's out west and I'm in Mi so im kinda screwed there. I have no doubt my build will be top notch, according to the people that have used his services.

I also agree with JEcustom, 3 months should the longest (after they get all components). I could even accept 6 months. But the few machinist / gunsmiths I've delt with so far have all been the same. They tell you a completion date and it takes twice as long as they told you. Then they blame it on the component manufacturers. So I had a buddy that got all the components himself and gave them to our gunsmith, and guess what. You got it, it's not the components after all. It's a prioritizing issue.

I wish more gunsmiths where as responsible and forthcoming and the ones I hear from on this forum.