Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Real advantage to custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Real advantage to custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
This thread is getting quite cute.

My initial post didn't include include my first thought regarding the "Real advantage to custom" I have only 2 custom rifles. When I shoot and show them I do so with "Pride"! And I have no shortage of pride. My biggest problems in life are cause by to much pride and oh ever so much humility

Thus the real advantage must be pride.
Yes---I love mine and am going to pick up my newest Wood sporter in 280 Ack very shortly! Cannot wait to get it in my hands. The first one I have built with a Lijla so it will be fun seeing how it shoots!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Sorry but we have a saying in Texas about people like you! All Hat No Cattle! Figured that you were blowing hot air now that is confimed. Funny how money walks and BS talks. Just thought your Smith would like to have some new clients.
I expected that from you. That's easier for you to blast my directioin instead of doing what I asked, which was:

"You have to get out of the "benchrest" way of thinking before you'll understand that theirs is not the only way to super accurate rifles. Until then, it's a waste of my time and my 'smiths to give you his name. "

You didn't make any move in that direction. My 'smith wouldn't guarantee any of his stuff; he never has because he doesn't load the ammo shot in them nor does he test them. It's all up to the shooter. But he's never let any body down. His rifles have won more high power matches setting more records along the way save perhaps David Tubb.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

If you are talking about pre 64 style actions, I'd like to know who that model 70 gunsmith is. I'm considering a custom rifle built on one of those actions.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I expected that from you. That's easier for you to blast my directioin instead of doing what I asked, which was:

"You have to get out of the "benchrest" way of thinking before you'll understand that theirs is not the only way to super accurate rifles. Until then, it's a waste of my time and my 'smiths to give you his name. "

You didn't make any move in that direction. My 'smith wouldn't guarantee any of his stuff; he never has because he doesn't load the ammo shot in them nor does he test them. It's all up to the shooter. But he's never let any body down. His rifles have won more high power matches setting more records along the way save perhaps David Tubb.
Unfortunately there are people such as yourself who have no idea what little things make the difference between wood and no wood. My Smith does because he is one of the best shooters on the planet as well (that is a fact not opinion). Fortunately for me he also my good friend who has shown me not only the specifics of what makes a rifle accurate but how to load the ammunition for and to fire the rifle accurately. Have had mentoring from many others as well however, the subject of excellence is something I am always relentless in my pursuit of. No stone is left unturned ever.

Just next time don't try and blow smoke up my rear and then back peddle faster than a politician when your bluff is called----you may be able to wear the hat and fool some people but there are still no cattle. I did not just fall off of the turnip truck and can usually smell BS from a distance but in your case it was easy because you pulled down your pants and showed everyone your rear.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
My Smith does because he is one of the best shooters on the planet as well (that is a fact not opinion). Fortunately for me he also my good friend who has shown me not only the specifics of what makes a rifle accurate but how to load the ammunition for and to fire the rifle accurately.
Your 'smith seems no different than mine. Heres the results of what he's made for me and the ammo I loaded to do it. Note these groups were fired with either full length sized or brand spankin' new cases.

Full length sized cases in a SAAMI spec chamber:

15 shots each group with twice fired full length sized cases all inside the 10-inch X ring, 15 with new unfired cases, all 30 shots fired alternately so each group represents virtually how each load will perform for 30 shots:

And a fall 1991 issue of Handloader Magazine has a 600 yard 20 shot group fired in a pre-'64 Win 70 action using brand new .308 Win. cases with powder charges having 3/10ths grain spread and bullet runout of 3/1000ths. It's about 2.7 inches in diameter for all 20 shots. From another 'smith who built many super accurate Win 70's.

You got something that does better than this? Show me.

Last edited by Bart B; 10-05-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Your 'smith seems no different than mine. Heres the results of what he's made for me and the ammo I loaded to do it. Note these groups were fired with either full length sized or brand spankin' new cases.

Full length sized cases in a SAAMI spec chamber:

15 shots each group with twice fired full length sized cases all inside the 10-inch X ring, 15 with new unfired cases, all 30 shots fired alternately so each group represents virtually how each load will perform for 30 shots:

And a fall 1991 issue of Handloader Magazine has a 600 yard 20 shot group fired in a pre-'64 Win 70 action using brand new .308 Win. cases with powder charges having 3/10ths grain spread and bullet runout of 3/1000ths. It's about 2.7 inches in diameter for all 20 shots. From another 'smith who built many super accurate Win 70's.

You got something that does better than this? Show me.
Those are very nice groups groups indeed. My Smith for SS sporters and competition rifles is Speedy Gonzalez who is yours? I would like to have him build a rifle for me. I do not take pictures of my targets sorry -- I can post a pic of some wood that I have won (State Score not group IBS Championship etc) but that is about it.

Please post the name of your Smith---if the group at 1K is indeed factual he and I need to talk. If someone knows who this Smith is please PM me he may have a rifle to build..
Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Here's where this thread could go drift an infinite number of directions!

Lovin' it....proof is in the puddin'

A smith with the knack! Which is most probably the magic touch one has for a certain set of conditions. The Master's Touch, many have it, on different instruments.

Keep in mind the shooter has to have a different "knack" to do honor to the smith's craftsmanship.

Check this from the above post: "600 yard 20 shot group fired in a pre-'64 Win 70 action using brand new .308 Win. cases with powder charges having 3/10ths grain spread and bullet runout of 3/1000ths. It's about 2.7 inches in diameter for all 20 shots."

The pic and these few words sum up the compulsive tendencies of many. $1000 dollar, 0.0005 grain accurate scales, and on and on.

Regarding my "custom" rigs, its just put the load together that the smith uses for accuracy verification, sight in, develop drop chart and start harvesting. That's the value of "Custom", if the smith has the "knack".

The problem is that shooting them is so euphoric I tend to wear them out.

Great thread!!!!! Even better once you two bone heads (said respectfully) get to communicating. Won't be too long until you're sharing a beer.