Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Real advantage to custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Real advantage to custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I know two things about this comment.

First, I agree that there's not much demand for 70's. Most customers don't know what they can do. Most 'smiths who don't know nor even care what they can do, either.

Second, nobody's build a one hole rifle to date that's a one holer all the time. The best of them shoot cloverleafs at short range (300 and under), under half MOA at medium range (301 to 600 yards and under 2/3 MOA at long range (601 to 1000 yards). I'm not referring to the smallest groups they'll shoot which any one will do a small percentage of the time. Accuracy is what one can count on all the time and nobody's built a rifle that does that. Well, maybe they have if the target's no more than 50 to 60 yards down range.

However, if one shoots enough bullets in a target, there'll be one hole in the paper but its size may not impress folks.
Sorry Bart but you have the wrong guy building your rifles is all I can say. My sporters are built EXACTLY like my competition rifles (just not glued in and with smaller tubes) and I can go into the finite detail from exactly how the barrel is indicated in to how the dies are made (watched and helped build more than a few of them). It is possible to build guns that shoot every bit as good as they look---have watched hundreds of rifles being built over the years in my Smiths shop here and in Colorado.

The biggest part of shooting a rifle accurately is of course the rifle itself HOWEVER if one does not have the equipment, knowledge or skill to shoot it to its full potential then that is another story. For the most part when someone tells me how great a sporter will shoot I can tell to a great extent if they know what the hell they are talking about when they are in the process of putting the rifle on the rest to shoot it (really love the guys that leave the swivel on the front).

You do have a point in that some bullets will not settle completely until they get 250 to 300 yds and if the shooter is good enough to understand what is happening and proficient in his skill sets he or she will know that 80fps deviation from high to low is going to kill your group with vertical dispersion out past 750 and esp at 1K. This of course assumes the shooter is making perfect condition calls so that he knows what is going on rather than getting lucky and putting 2 or 3 close together. This is a subject that could go on forever but you get the idea.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Sorry Bart but you have the wrong guy building your rifles is all I can say.
That's the kind of comment I expect from people who don't understand what's important for accuracy in a rifle and why it is. I don't know of anyone whose built more accurate shoulder fired rifles than my 'smith. A few might equal what his stuff does, but none are better.

Name a smith who has built rifles that will consistantly shoot 600 yard groups under 1.5 inches when properly tested for accuracy. Or 40 shots at 600 all in a single group under 2 inches. Name another who puts together a barreled action that'll shoot 30 consecutive shots inside 6 inches at 1000 yards, starting with a cold barrel. All on Win. 70 actions that have only their bolt lugs lapped plus receiver and bolt face squared up.

Last edited by Bart B; 10-04-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Bart---Looks like you have the best Smith on the planet..... Good for you. How many HOF points do you have? Your Smith should be the primary builder of Competition rifles of some of the people I know. Tell me who he or she is and I will forward his credentials to a few people I know who compete and if this is something that he stands by he will be a very busy man indeed. To make the statement “A few might equal what his stuff does, but none are better” is a very bold and forthright statement that I have never seen before! I will contact him personally and have him build me a rifle that will shoot to the levels you have committed to.

Now just to eliminate any questions about my shooting ability my Smith who has impeccable qualifications as a shooter will test this rifle as well to verify the capabilities you have committed him to. This is something that I look forward very much to testing!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

This thread is getting quite cute.

My initial post didn't include include my first thought regarding the "Real advantage to custom" I have only 2 custom rifles. When I shoot and show them I do so with "Pride"! And I have no shortage of pride. My biggest problems in life are cause by to much pride and oh ever so much humility

Thus the real advantage must be pride.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Bart---How many HOF points do you have?
I don't have any Humble Old Fart points, or Hyper Obnoxious Feelings, or whatever "HOF" points are. Without them, I doubt I have any credibility with you. My 'smith doesn't have any of those points, either. Nor do any of his customers as far as I know. But it sounds like something related to benchrest competition. You have to get out of the "benchrest" way of thinking before you'll understand that theirs is not the only way to super accurate rifles. Until then, it's a waste of my time and my 'smiths to give you his name.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I don't have any Humble Old Fart points, or Hyper Obnoxious Feelings, or whatever "HOF" points are. Without them, I doubt I have any credibility with you. My 'smith doesn't have any of those points, either. Nor do any of his customers as far as I know. But it sounds like something related to benchrest competition. You have to get out of the "benchrest" way of thinking before you'll understand that theirs is not the only way to super accurate rifles. Until then, it's a waste of my time and my 'smiths to give you his name.
Sorry but we have a saying in Texas about people like you! All Hat No Cattle! Figured that you were blowing hot air now that is confimed. Funny how money walks and BS talks. Just thought your Smith would like to have some new clients.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
This thread is getting quite cute.

My initial post didn't include include my first thought regarding the "Real advantage to custom" I have only 2 custom rifles. When I shoot and show them I do so with "Pride"! And I have no shortage of pride. My biggest problems in life are cause by to much pride and oh ever so much humility

Thus the real advantage must be pride.
Roy,

I'm right there with you.

I am very proud of the rifles I've built with my son. This past weekend, some guy with a custom rifle shooting at a target 18" away at 300 yards was putting holes all over my son's target. Even if he was aiming at my son's target by accident, he had no group. ...just 6 or 8 random shots over a 10" area.

So, we moved out to 500 yds and my son shot a 2" 5 shot group and was ringing the 4" steel swingers right and left.

Hitting what you aim at be it paper, vermin, meat, or trophies yeilds a sense of accomplishment.
Doing so accurately with handloads you've developed is more of the same.
Spec'ing your own custom to do the job is even better.
And, getting the job done with your son on the trigger and a rifle you built yourself is priceless.

I can't wait for deer season to open up.

-- richard