Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Real advantage to custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Real advantage to custom

I would appreciate a little help from the gunsmithing community here. I am looking into having a rifle built, or just purchasing a trg42. If i have the rifle built it will most likely be by Mike Cuyper from Bijou creek, but i am open to opinions if anyone here builds rifles rot has a good smith to recommend. If that is the case it will be stiller tac 338. 28" rock creek barrel manner t-5a stock and timney trigger. Does anyone have any experience with this particular smith and will i gain anything over the performance of a trg 42 by having this rifle built. Total cost will be about $1000 more that the Sako trg., and i can have the trg tomorrow. I appreciate any help you can offer.

thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Real advantage to custom

I just finished my 3rd custom using a stiller tac-30, timney, manners t4a, bartlein barrel and I love it.

With a custom job, you should be able to tailor every aspect of your build to suit you. ...almost. Your smith should at least guide you through the process to keep you from doing something stupid. It's a lengthy and expensive process. But, along with the customization comes pride in a job well done and the smith should stand behind his work to the extent that you went along with his recommedations.

So for starters, you might want to look at some of the rifles posted in this forum that were built by smiths that frequent this forum and see if there are any that are similar to what you're looking for.

With a trg, you get a proven factory package that will perform pretty darned good out of the box. I don't know what kind of guarantees they make. But, it's going to be a nice rifle in a factory chambering. Plus, you can get one today and start shooting tomorrow.

If you have something to shoot in the meantime and have the budget, custom is the way to go. Otherwise, you might want to stick with the trg.

JMO
-- richard
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Ive talked with Kirby Allen from Allen Precision Rifles a fair amount, and have done extensive research (to what is avalable, plus talking with him) on his products and his quality. I have yet to find anyone who has complained about him. I belive his username here is FIFTYDRIVER, Im sure he would be willing to exchange info with you on everyting you would want. He also has a 700 clone action that im going to be getting turned into one of his Allen Improved or Allen Express wildcats.

Also there is a guy from Defensive edge that markets the 338 EDGE, which is an interesting round (300 RUM necked to .338).Recently (i beleive) he came out with a 338 EDGE +P as well... Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

(i have yet to build a custom but working 24 hours a week at a security job gives me 23 hours to browse the internet reading and dreaming).
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

My custom built rifles share one thing-they all offered a feature I could not get over the counter, a particular chambering, configuration, or a level of performance.
rscott5028 hit the points all very well. In the type of rifle your looking at what accuracy assurances are you receiving, what's the turn around time, and what are you doing in the meantime. If your answers aren't what you need, a 1000 dollars towards optics never hurts.
There are smiths here, and elswhere that have answered your questions many times, and are well worth the wait, the $1000 and more for their skills.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

I have four Tikka T3's "the baby brother" to the sako trg and love them all. I just finished a semi custom because I wanted a caliber not offered by tikka and not coducive to their action. Custom is great but in hand for less$ and proven performance are nice too. I do not believe you will be disapointed in sako's quality. But it is nice to kknow she's unique. I would lile to have one of shawn carlock's 338 edge rigs. I would say thete are severall custom builders on here that are proven if your worried
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

Oh, And if I recall sako guarantees five shots under an inch with any of their guns with good factory ammo. But the TRG is their flagship model and I would bet on better) than that and abdolutely expect it with handloads.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

On factory rifles i really enjoyed shooting the Savage 110. Its a great shooter, tight clover leaf at 100M with handloads. A friend has one that we took out once, sadly its never seen anything past 100M.