Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Re-barrelling a Springfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Re-barrelling a Springfield

I have an old 1903A3 that my Dad sporterized back in the 50's. I put a timney trigger on it and a B&C stock and pillar bedded, but the accuracy still sucks. Shoots 3 or 4 inch groups at 100 yds with most ammo. This gun has a lot of sentimental value and I use it for whitetails because the accuracy is fine for where I hunt, but I would love to get it to close to a MOA.

The action is very worn in (the bolt almost falls open if you turn it upside down), so I am guessing it has had many rounds through it. Do you think the problem is that the barrel is just shot out and re-barrelling would do wonders or could it be some fundamental problem with the action? Is it worth spending money on or should I just be happy with it as my short range whitetail gun?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Re: Re-barrelling a Springfield

If you want it to shoot better, it needs a barrel. If you want to keep it for sentimental value, leave it be.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Re-barrelling a Springfield

Deciding if the action is suitable for re-barreling can only be done "hands on" by someone who knows what they're looking at. Most all custom barrel makers will "copy a customers barrel contour" so there would be an almost "drop in' fit into the stock , depending on who fits the barrel to the action. Some charge a few extra $$ for that, some don't.