Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Re-Barrel and chamber a Weatherby ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Re-Barrel and chamber a Weatherby ?

I have a 300 Weatherby Laser Mark V Deluxe that won't group worth a squatting dog. I would like to re-chamber to 7mm or something more accurate and maybe restock. Every smith I talk to says just sell it and have me build you a 7,500.00 custom gun.

I have a friend that has a state of the art machine shop. He is not a smith but he is willing to help me If I could find someone that could advise us as to what is important that we do ie (True action, Lap lugs, reamer depth, or what ever needs to be done t omake it a shooter) I am willing to try. As opposed to selling the whole thing for less than I will have to pay for a action alone!

On the other hand if anyone knows a smith that specializes in Weatherbys. I would have it done there.

I posted for such a smith on here a year or so ago . A guy was recommended In Austin TX (4 hours away from my home) who was supposed to be really good.

I spoke to him a few times and for about an hour each time I was informed, enlightened, and embellished to about how he was the greatest gun smith who ever lived. All the Kings, Presidents, Gun Magazines and such had begged for him to write articles, impart knowledge and enlighten them and or there readers from his vast storehouse of wisdom and expertise.

He finally agreed to work on my gun but it would be at least 6 months for him to get to it. After waiting on him for over 6 months he called at 5 the morning of the day I was to take it to him to say he just didn't have time.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone has.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Re-Barrel and chamber a Weatherby ?

Ammo tried? Groups you've shot and at what distance? Technique?

Don't forget that Weatherby will make good on their accuracy guarantee and before you throw money at it don't be afraid to call them and see what they'd like to do.

If you've called them already, tried almost every weight of Wby factory ammo and no one can get it to group better than the 1.5 inches at 100 yards... then there are a number of options. This would include anything from a simple restock with a Bell & Carlson or McMillan, a rebarreling, or a complete redo. Having seen a couple of rifles perform after their work take a look at Hill Country Rifles if you want a restock, bedding and accuracy guarantee. My Wby Ultralight in 257 Wby was redone by them when owned by the previous owner, and it's a tackdriver!

So, a bit more information would be helpful.

My Lazermark is just to look at. My other Weatherbys are for shooting.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Yes ive done extensive load test as well as Wtby ammo from a bench. the best i ever got was 13/16 at 100 yd once, Consistently 1 1/4, I would like to shoot out to 1000 yd. I want to re barrel in 7mm or something with high BC's. Rathr than building from scratch it looks like you could have a gun with a pretty stock that would shoot good enough for a long range gun. I hate plastic stocks I dont care how well they are rated they still look like a chep'o from the dollar store that you painted yourself with Wal Mart spray paint. I have had it bedded it didn't help. I am convinced it is the STUPID pencil barrel Wtby stuck on them for a while. thanks for your response.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

It may be the thin barrel, that's hard to say.

Your accuracy is what I would call respectable for the probable age of the rifle, and is better than the warranty at the time of 1 1/2 inches. Honestly I think you're getting all you can expect from it, and it was never intended to be a long range rifle.

It may be less expensive to buy another rifle.

Alternately since you have an aversion to anything but wood I'd look at these stocks if I were you:
Custom Replacement Gunstocks, Rifle Stocks - Quality, Accuracy, Aluminum Chassis - Accurate Innovations
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

ok ill look thanks for your help
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

Has this rifle ever been cleaned with a good copper remover?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

Yes sir many times. Even had a smith clean