Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Question for the smiths, what barrel manufacterer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Question for the smiths, what barrel manufacterer?

Not that there are not other good barrels out there , But my vote would have to be Lilja
for consistant quality. Very strait, good exterior concentricity, great bore finish. minimal
fouling and quick clean up. Also they break in fast (7 to 10 shots)

I have yet to get a Lilja that would not shoot well under 1/2 MOA.

The other thing I like is the fact that Lilja only makes one grade of barrel (The best he can make).
And if you have a question Dan will take the time to talk with you and advise you if you have
questions.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM
SPONSOR

Why not just pick one from any of the several that have been making quality barrels for 30+ years. The gunsmith doing the threading chambering and crowning will have as much to do with how it shoots as the maker does, maybe more! Not to mention "the nut behind the trigger!"
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
Pac Nor makes a great barrel. Ive used probably 40 this last year with out a bad one. Ive used a lot of Lilja barrels, Dan knows his stuff.
Depends on what you are building and how long you want to wait.
Pac Nor fastest for a custom caliber not in stock and reasonable $
Lilja, Kreiger, etc plan on 10 weeks at least
I honestly think Lilja sells the best rimfire blanks on this planet, and so does Bill Calfee. Best barrel I've ever owned was a Sealy Masker 14 twist, 6mm barrel. The worst was a factory Remington barrel. I have a Douglas 6mm barrel that seems to shoot extremely will, and is near impossible to foul. The worst custom barrel I've ever seen came from McMillen with one from Obermeyer a close second. I think everybody builds a hummer from time to time, and a clunker just as often
gary
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

worst Obermeyer? Wow I have never heard of him having a bad one. You are right though, time to time everybody makes mistakes! Lot of good ones will just have to decide when you are ready
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

Nobody here has mentioned Broughton Barrels. I have built many 6.5x47L, .308 win and 300 Win mags with his barrels and they have all been winners. I have used the others and they all have done fine but for me Broughton is the one to use.
Just my 2 cents

Wayne
Old 02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
worst Obermeyer? Wow I have never heard of him having a bad one. You are right though, time to time everybody makes mistakes! Lot of good ones will just have to decide when you are ready
had a couple buddies that were in tight with the FBI armorer, and he built a couple 700's for them They were both .308's using Obermeyer blanks. One shot pretty good (.38" five shot groups) and the other was a dog. Nothing wrong with the chambering job, and fired cases were nearly identical in a Shadowgraph. The one that didn't shoot well also fouled in less than one third the shots the other did. He swapped it for a Mike Pence barrel in .308, and shot better than the other Obermeyer. He also must be able to walk on water, cause he said he never cut a bad barrel (anybody can make a bad part). I might also add that the groups opened up with the other barrel after about four hundred rounds went thru it. I had the chance to get one at the sametime, and glad I didn't
gary
Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuutter View Post
Nobody here has mentioned Broughton Barrels. I have built many 6.5x47L, .308 win and 300 Win mags with his barrels and they have all been winners. I have used the others and they all have done fine but for me Broughton is the one to use.
Just my 2 cents

Wayne
I know somebody that's setting on two blanks right now, and would love to have one of them. Look like they'd be hummers with a bore scope. I'm going to try a Brux this year for another 6mm project (6BG), and can only hope it's somewhere close to all the raves I've heard
gary