Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Question regarding muzzle brake install.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

Question regarding muzzle brake install.

I really want to have a brake installed on my rem 700 in 300 win. I have an xcr long range tactical and was wondering if there will be any marks left on the trynite finish on the barrel. I am assuming the barrel has to come off for the install. Also, do you guys think I should have the barrel shortened a couple inches since the brake will be adding length? As always any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Question regarding muzzle brake install.

A careful machinist should be able to install the brake without damaging your finish. I know I could when I worked in a machine shop because I would have wrapped the barrel with paper before chucking it in the lathe. Ask potential gunsmiths about possible marks & see what they say.

If you are bothered by long guns & you are hunting in close quarters, you may want to shorten the barrel. I never would because I want all the performance I can get from this cartridge, a longer barrel reduces muzzle lift during firing, a longer gun points better for me, and the longer barrel gets the muzzle blast farther from your ears.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM
SPONSOR

I've put several brakes on XCR's with no markings on the coating. The one thing to know is the brake can not be blended in perfectly with no seam showing with the XCR barrel. Normally I'll turn the brake right down to barrel diameter then blend the two together with a file and then emery cloth. Also the coating has a distinct color that I haven't been able to match even with bead blasting the muzzle brake. I've found the best looking to me was to install the brake as close to barrel diameter without touching the barrel then cerakote the brake black.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

I personally wouldnt shorten it. I like leaving them as long as possible. I have wrapped the barrel in a piece of a pop can as to not scratch the finish. Its very soft and the jaws of the chuck wont mark it.

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Just wanted to add the barrel is not removed from the receiver when the barrel is supported through the headstock. Cut a piece from a 3x5 card to protect the barrel from the jaws. I wouldn't shorten it. The 300 Win will lose substantial performance when cut down. I would dial in the last 2" of the bore then thread and cut a fresh new crown perpendicular to the bore. Since the bore is rarely ever perfectly centered in the barrel this will leave an edge at the brake joint that cannot be blended perfect without disturbing you barrels finish.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.