Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Re: question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

I hear that if you are not a member you can shoot on sundays the membership is very resonable i believe it is 40 a year not to bad and it is usualy pretty quiet through the week
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPLOAD View Post
2 years ago I could order a brux barrel an have it in three weeks. Now it 6-9 months. Bat actions you will be waiting 9-12 months. Anything worth having is going to be I high demand and short supply. I broke down and bought a grizzly gunsmith series lathe. Had it 3 years and already paid for itself. The only way to get things done when you want and how you want!
+1

After lots of unreturned calls, I bought a Grizzly lathe.

I now have a much better understanding of some of the delays in getting all of the necessary parts, materials, and tooling together. ...although a professional should already be well equipped. In any case, there's no excuse for running a shoddy business and not communicating with your customers.

There are several smiths that frequent this forum that seem to be great communicators and with whom I wouldn't hesitate to do business.

It's just sad to think that a few bad apples can ruin it for the whole bunch.

It's no wonder Savage is so popular with the DIY crowd.

-- richard
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
+1

After lots of unreturned calls, I bought a Grizzly lathe.

I now have a much better understanding of some of the delays in getting all of the necessary parts, materials, and tooling together. ...although a professional should already be well equipped. In any case, there's no excuse for running a shoddy business and not communicating with your customers.

There are several smiths that frequent this forum that seem to be great communicators and with whom I wouldn't hesitate to do business.

It's just sad to think that a few bad apples can ruin it for the whole bunch.

It's no wonder Savage is so popular with the DIY crowd.

-- richard

????? Why is savage popular with the DIY crowd. Sorry for the stupid question, but you sparked my curiousity.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

Because savage uses a barrel nut to make headspacing the barrel a breeze. With a few simple tools, and a good understanding of what you are doing, you can order a prethreaded and chambered barrel and install it yourself.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 PM

Well just an update... I finally got ahold of my smith today. He said he was aware of my calls and email and that there was no excuse for not taking them.... He said my gun should've been done months ago and the he profusely appologizes... He said the gun should be done in two weeks and he will ship to me prior to final payment to make sure I'm happy. Once again, I told him to pad his timeframe and once again he said that was with padding extra time.

I confirmed again it would be done "first to middle July" and he agreed. I them said I would call him after the 4th holiday week. So we'll see....

Until them I will calm down by celebrating my favorite holiday of the year.

Happy Fourth of July everybody and God bless America!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like good news.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

This would concern me one who would screen your calls over something as small as a missed deadline. Just think if he messed up or owed you something......... With so many choices out there for quality gun work every customer is important to me.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.