Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Re: question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

2 years ago I could order a brux barrel an have it in three weeks. Now it 6-9 months. Bat actions you will be waiting 9-12 months. Anything worth having is going to be I high demand and short supply. I broke down and bought a grizzly gunsmith series lathe. Had it 3 years and already paid for itself. The only way to get things done when you want and how you want!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks J E and Chip.

The "only" money invested so far is the brand new rem 700 I sent him and the Lilja barrel I had shipped to him. The sad thing is Lilja quoted me 12 weeks on the barrel because they had to custom make it due to my requested length and specs, but they had it shipped out in 10 weeks. That was in February (I have the ups confirmation email). After talking with you guys, I'm just trying to change my mindset and "calm down". Although, its easier said then done. I was raised "old school", if you make a promise to get something done, you damn well make sure its done by that time. Or hopefully have a real good excuse that my dad would "buy". Oh well, just ranting now. Thanks guys.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chache View Post
Hey cam...I'm in bako too. Who did your work? I was thinking of having one guy do some other stuff for me, but he's no longer taking anymore rifles. You probably know who it is. Thanks.
Yes, I know who you are speaking of, he is a fantastic gunsmith and has done work for me. He also had previously commited to a couple of projects for me and has assured me that he will follow through. I was extremely upset to hear he would no longer be taking outside work. I was feeling pretty spoiled living less than a mile away from a gunsmith of his caliber, after my next build is finished I guess I will be sending stuff half way across the country to be built.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Chache

when your done whinning about your rifle give me a call I have a scope that needs to be bedded and a barrel to brake in on my new 300.

If you dont get your rifle done this year I'll take care of yah. You can shoot old meat in the pot and I'll shoot my new 300 win
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 22 View Post
Chache

when your done whinning about your rifle give me a call I have a scope that needs to be bedded and a barrel to brake in on my new 300.

If you dont get your rifle done this year I'll take care of yah. You can shoot old meat in the pot and I'll shoot my new 300 win
Sounds like you two know each other. I got a couple questions. Where do you guys shoot around Bakersfield? And what do you guys hunt?

Last edited by Camshaft; 06-23-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM

yeah he is a buddy he gets to follow me around on the mountain. I am not a gun smith my friend we shoot out in the desert or up at the kernvill rifle range they have targets out to 560 yards adn 1000
Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Yea sorry i mixed up your post with another. Do you have any info on the Kernville range? I have never heard of it. I usually set my own targets and shoot out in by the Tule Elk Reserve, gives me wide open space for 1400yards. But its a pain in the ass in the summer heat.