Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 PM

question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

first off, let me preface this by saying this is my first time having a custom gun built or dealt with a custom gun builder. so my question comes from ignorance.

ok, i am in the process of having a custom gun built. the rifle was quoted to be finished in middle may. i called the gunsmith around that time and he said the gun would take him another month. i told him to pad his estimate in his favor so i don't get my hopes up. he told me the month time frame was padding his estimate and he will let me know around 6/15/11 for payment details. upon no call on the 15th, i called the next day and left a message on the answering machine. no return call. i have been calling everyday since (no weekend calls) during morning, afternoon and evening with no return calls. today i sent an email and multiple calls as well. my question is how should i proceed from here on out. i understand it takes time to construct a quality rifle, but as far as time frame, tell me what i need to know not what i want to hear. if the rifle isn't going to be done until 2012, tell me that so i can prepare to deer hunt with another rifle.
this gunsmith already has a brand new rem 700 i bought to use the action from and the lilja barrel i purchased and had shipped to his business.
i'm not thinking extreme like sending the cops, i just want to know what would be an appropriate plan to handle the situation at this point. thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: question to gunsmiths and custom gun owners

This has been a frustration for myself too. Based on my experiences in the past year, I'd say don't fret just yet. It's only been a week past. He may have had something come up and isn't even in the shop to receive your calls/e-mails.?

I left one rifle with a smith to re-barrel, re-stock and camo finish. He quoted me 120 days........6 months later he had just received the barrel. Whole ordeal took a year! There was about 3 months time in there that I couldn't even get a return call from him. I was just about to get the cops involved when he called and said it was being shipped.

I have another totally new custom being built at the moment. It was supposed to take 1 yr or a little more, well now it's been 1 1/2 years, and I don't know how close to being done it is, last I heard it should be real soon.?

My impression is that with custom guns, we gotta plan about 2 years in advance. Because once we get it, then there's always all the prep and break in and load development that still has to be done before we can even come up with drop charts...................frustrating indeed.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. With this being my first build I wanted to know the appropriate expectations. Sounds like I just need to be a little more patient. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

You're welcome, I hope it all turns out good for you.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

Same here. I had a model 700 that was supposed to have a brake put on, trigger job, restocked and bedded. Dropped everything of the 1st of February and was quoted the 1st of may. To make a long story short my rifle was done mid August. **** happens. But in the end it is worth the wait. Hopefully at least.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 AM

Hey cam...I'm in bako too. Who did your work? I was thinking of having one guy do some other stuff for me, but he's no longer taking anymore rifles. You probably know who it is. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chache View Post
first off, let me preface this by saying this is my first time having a custom gun built or dealt with a custom gun builder. so my question comes from ignorance.

ok, i am in the process of having a custom gun built. the rifle was quoted to be finished in middle may. i called the gunsmith around that time and he said the gun would take him another month. i told him to pad his estimate in his favor so i don't get my hopes up. he told me the month time frame was padding his estimate and he will let me know around 6/15/11 for payment details. upon no call on the 15th, i called the next day and left a message on the answering machine. no return call. i have been calling everyday since (no weekend calls) during morning, afternoon and evening with no return calls. today i sent an email and multiple calls as well. my question is how should i proceed from here on out. i understand it takes time to construct a quality rifle, but as far as time frame, tell me what i need to know not what i want to hear. if the rifle isn't going to be done until 2012, tell me that so i can prepare to deer hunt with another rifle.
this gunsmith already has a brand new rem 700 i bought to use the action from and the lilja barrel i purchased and had shipped to his business.
i'm not thinking extreme like sending the cops, i just want to know what would be an appropriate plan to handle the situation at this point. thanks in advance.

This has been a problem with some smiths for a long time and there is no good solution except
to be very specific in your instructions and schedules before starting a custom build.

The one thing that is not exceptable to me is for someone to tell me what I want to hear and not
the actual delivery time.

A custom build should be a good experance and not turn into a nightmare because of promises
not kept.

Normal build time should be 3 to 4 months If the smith has to order everything. If you furnish everything then it should take less. and if he is real busy he should tell you and give you a firm
date for delivery.

Actual build time from start to finish (Taken in order) for a custom rifle with all of the parts in hand
2 to 3 weeks from start to finish.

Some smiths have a production line set up and work many rifles at a time . Others schedule a
build to start in the order received and may take 2 to 3 months to start even if they have all of the
componants, so delivery time is close to the same.

A few weeks over the delivery date is ok as long as the smith lets you know how long and why.

The biggest mistake most people make is to pay all the money up front. once they have the money
there is no incentive to finish on time or at all.

I don't know the details of your agreements with the Smith so I cant comment fairly except to
say give the smith a chance to do right by you and at some point you will get your rifle or have to
have a face to face with him.

If he doesn't respond to your E-mail then you may have a problem, But give him a little time
(He could be ill or out of town).

I, like most waited up to 2 years in the beginning because I though that was how long it took
and that was an exceptable time to wait.

Then I found out that it was there poor planning and scheduling that was the problem.

It is to late to recomend things that should make the build a joyful experance but make the best
of it and it should be ok.

If not you may have to go and pick it up unfinished. ( A friend of mine picked his up after 7 years
of waiting and found that he had done nothing.(He paid up front and was tole that if he did not give the "Smith" a chance to finish he would not get his money back) He took It anyway.

J E CUSTOM