Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

question on bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member

question on bedding

I have question on bedding. this rifle was bedded before I recived it most likely at the factory (from what i can tell of the sparse use of bedding compound). and when I was looking at it. the recoil lug bedding is great solid and looks good. however it is a different story on the tang. thers is not very much touching the tang area just a little at the corners.

my question is can i just do the tang area again? or do I need to do the whole bedding job over again? (i know doing the whole job over again would prolly be better just not real feasible at this point.) Reason I am asking is I just have hand tools and I don't have a dremel. or anything to remove the compound in the recoil lug area.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Shifty
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: question on bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty06 View Post
I have question on bedding. this rifle was bedded before I recived it most likely at the factory (from what i can tell of the sparse use of bedding compound). and when I was looking at it. the recoil lug bedding is great solid and looks good. however it is a different story on the tang. thers is not very much touching the tang area just a little at the corners.

my question is can i just do the tang area again? or do I need to do the whole bedding job over again? (i know doing the whole job over again would prolly be better just not real feasible at this point.) Reason I am asking is I just have hand tools and I don't have a dremel. or anything to remove the compound in the recoil lug area.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Shifty

I would recommend doing the hole bedding job over . If you don't like the bedding you have
chances are that the rest is not very good.

Plus, it is hard to get uniform pressure/contact when doing partial bedding.

If you do a partial and it doesn't shoot as well as you think, you will be second guessing
yourself.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Bronze Member

Re: question on bedding

JE thanks for the info. I done partial bedded it this mournin. Pillar bedding looked good but re done the part of the tang I didn't like. I'm looking at a dremel tool right now so if I don't like the results. Then I'll drill all of it out and just do it all over.

I also was looking at some threads about bedding the scope base. And got curious and pulled mine. I could see 2 rub spots on top of reciver after 40 rounds. So I also bedded it. And done a trigger job. If I could get this rifle 2 shoot 1/2 MOA with my home rolled I would be super excited. It shot great before all this just hoping for a little better. Especially since I got rid of that 6lb. Trigger and have a nice 1.5lb. Average with no creep or over travel. Sorry for rant just excited.