Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Put reamer to barrel today!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: Put reamer to barrel today!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Apartment living is killing me. The lathe is out on the balcony and spring here sux....... Only rooms in the place without carpet are the kitchen and bathroom. Wiffee wouldn't tollerate the lathe in either spot.

Lathe and drives are under a tarp. Ain't that the pits!!!!!

Tomorrow is a day off and expected to rain all day.
You peaked my intrest. May I ask which lathe you have, out on the balcony, instead of in a shop?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
You peaked my intrest. May I ask which lathe you have, out on the balcony, instead of in a shop?
I'm more interested in the engineering feat of getting it up there. I had a heck of a time getting mine in the garage with a forklift that wouldn't clear the door.

-- richard
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmmmmm, a certified registered gun molester

Would that be a firearmophile?????

Great to hear. Pretty exiting ain't it.

I'll be sending ya some 160 class 0.658 bc brass tipped projectiles one of these first days. Then we may know what the bc actually is and if they shoot worth a squat.

Apartment living is killing me. The lathe is out on the balcony and spring here sux....... Only rooms in the place without carpet are the kitchen and bathroom. Wiffee wouldn't tollerate the lathe in either spot.

Lathe and drives are under a tarp. Ain't that the pits!!!!!

Tomorrow is a day off and expected to rain all day.

I tried to pull rank on my wife not to long ago and it went about as well as expected, she's quite understanding in reality since she was raised by a gun nut and maker so her norm is gun parts strewn all over her counters. I'm gaining on getting my garage converted into a usable gunsmithing space, wiring is GTG for a lathe and most of the insulation is in just need to sheath it.

My brother is almost finished CNC'ing his mini mill, we test ran it on my dad Vanguard, it's now a longer action dad got a little concerned when he saw me and my bro hunkered over the mill and his rifle hanging out of it

I bought some 150 Ballistic tips a couple weeks ago and tinkered with them a little in prep for having some IWK's soon, the new chamber has them seated just below the neck for max Retumbo capacity I'll get a PM tonight!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This one is pretty dinky. I stated as large as I could to get my little job done (prototyping) and small enough that "crashes", and I've had some, were nothing but dings, bumps and flying chuck wrench a time or two.

As we speak its being converted to CNC. This is the company secret. Probably never been done in this manner by anyone. At least I hope so. Ever hear of Lego Mindstorms NXT? Damn'd if it doesn't work. With lots and lots of tinkering.......

Its a Harbor Freight 8 x 12 lathe. 44859. Took quite a bit of work and fuss to get it trued/centered/etc but she's spot on now as long as one chucks up between 0.185 to 0.301 round stock.

Next upgrade will be collets and auto feed then it will be a real Italian Screw Machine.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
This one is pretty dinky.

As we speak its being converted to CNC. This is the company secret. Probably never been done in this manner by anyone. At least I hope so. Ever hear of Lego Mindstorms NXT? Damn'd if it doesn't work. With lots and lots of tinkering.......

Its a Harbor Freight 8 x 12 lathe. 44859. Took quite a bit of work and fuss to get it trued/centered/etc but she's spot on now as long as one chucks up between 0.185 to 0.301 round stock.
Curious'r, 'n curious'r! Sounds like you're happy with it keeping you busy.

If you were back before you got into this lathe, would you go with any other brand?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Curious'r, 'n curious'r! Sounds like you're happy with it keeping you busy.

If you were back before you got into this lathe, would you go with any other brand?
Knowing what I now know, which was zero knowledge back then, I would go with a different brand. However, I have no idea of which.

I had only one objective and still have only one objective. Making points to repoint bullets. Berger and others couldn't do it effectively but I'm driving by an different engine.

The first thing I did was getting it to turn the stock with 0.00000 run out. Ruined one set of jaws doing it but they're inexpensive. Once I learned how to do that she turned into a whole different machine.

The compound is pretty poor also. Converting to the Mindstorms CNC takes me pretty much out of the picture.

bigngreen is of a different mindset and can figure out all of that threading stuff. Calcs are way too much for me. Its much easier, for me, to program it.

Plus bng has help. I just turned myself loose in the garage with the thing and started making chips.

This model weight closer to 300 pounds than 200 and is a bit big for my working area. I'm thinking of moving it and getting a smaller one for my dinking around down the road aways.

I'm confident that there are better machines out there for a similar price. Little Machine Shop has one that they have branded.