Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Put reamer to barrel today!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Put reamer to barrel today!!!

I know I'll be angering the gods of the picture but I'm so jacked about this that I can't wait for a pic!
I've been working on this for a long time getting the right tools and gear together but Thursday the last tool I needed showed, a set of PT&G 270 cal reamer bushings. I decided to just go for it and I chucked up my good barrel for my first run at reaming, got it dialed in to the knats hinny and cut my tenon and threaded it for shouldering on a Savage action with the barrel timed up perfectly.
Zeroed my GTR reamer holder in the tool holder and loaded her up with Vipers Venom oil and ran it on in. Went back and forth for a while and ended up with what I think is a good first chamber. The test indicators look good and the finish looks great, no bore scope but the lands look like they are cut very concentric, spec brass fits like a glove with .0015 head spacing.
The reamer is for a tight 270 WSM set up for 150 Bergers and a Lawton barrel.
I just have to flip it around and install a Muscle brake and I'll get to see just how good of a job I really did but I'm feeling good about it for sure!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Put reamer to barrel today!!!

Bigngreen,

Congrats! I share your excitement.

My new Grizzly just arrived Fri and I spent all weekend with my son setting up, cleaning it, etc... I still have a ways to go before running the break-in and making sure everything is quid pro quo. But, I am really keen to chamber that first barrel.

-- richard
Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I know I'll be angering the gods of the picture but I'm so jacked about this that I can't wait for a pic!
I've been working on this for a long time getting the right tools and gear together but Thursday the last tool I needed showed, a set of PT&G 270 cal reamer bushings. I decided to just go for it and I chucked up my good barrel for my first run at reaming, got it dialed in to the knats hinny and cut my tenon and threaded it for shouldering on a Savage action with the barrel timed up perfectly.
Zeroed my GTR reamer holder in the tool holder and loaded her up with Vipers Venom oil and ran it on in. Went back and forth for a while and ended up with what I think is a good first chamber. The test indicators look good and the finish looks great, no bore scope but the lands look like they are cut very concentric, spec brass fits like a glove with .0015 head spacing.
The reamer is for a tight 270 WSM set up for 150 Bergers and a Lawton barrel.
I just have to flip it around and install a Muscle brake and I'll get to see just how good of a job I really did but I'm feeling good about it for sure!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together !!!!

It will probably shoot better than any you ever had because of the care and precision.

Good shooting.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Man it is a blast isn't it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

I'm stoked about how it all went, getting the tenon setup and threaded was no big sweat but when it was time to run the reamer in I got a little sick, kinda like the first time you build a 400 HP tractor engine and can't remember torquing the rods
I made up a dummy round tonight to check and see just how good this chamber is going to be and all the specs are just what I was looking for, bullet placement is much better and the neck will require minimum resizing. If this thing shoots bug holes I'm done for, no one will be able to leave a rifle laying around without me molesting it

I'm sure glad I asked a bunch of questions and waited till I could get the right tools. Right now I have to drive out to my father in-laws to use the lathe but hopefully I can have a lathe installed at home by the end of the year barring me breaking something again once I have a lathe here then things will get interesting!!!!

Thanks to all the guys that shared info with me like J E Custom and Fitch and others I'm missing!

Next up a 338 RUM in a Brux barreled Savage nestled in a Stockade P-dog stock

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Bronze Member

Good for you I am getting very close myself, just a few more things and I will be trying it.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmmm, a certified registered gun molester

Would that be a firearmophile?????

Great to hear. Pretty exiting ain't it.

I'll be sending ya some 160 class 0.658 bc brass tipped projectiles one of these first days. Then we may know what the bc actually is and if they shoot worth a squat.

Apartment living is killing me. The lathe is out on the balcony and spring here sux....... Only rooms in the place without carpet are the kitchen and bathroom. Wiffee wouldn't tollerate the lathe in either spot.

Lathe and drives are under a tarp. Ain't that the pits!!!!!

Tomorrow is a day off and expected to rain all day.