Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

pulling trigger on a lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info guys, I am still up in the air even though the jet is 3500 higher.....I do keep thinking how much tooling I can get for that 3500.
I also keep thinking about that sleeve system Mr. Don uses. Without indicating in the muzzzle his chambers are .0002 or less. I keep hearing his words "get the big lathe" and he hasnt steered me wrong thus far.....(well there was this one time but who knew postal scales had oil in them that would leak out on leather seats.)....but 3500 is a lot of tooling.
That would buy a nice 6 jaw set tru chuck and some other stuff I am going to need.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
SPONSOR

Eddybo,

For what its worth, the 2 338 edges I just built on my smaller grizzly, I just indicated the chamber end only with the 4 jaw. Both chambers are .0002" runout from the start to the throat. It just takes more time to setup than the collet method. I know Kirby uses the big Jet machine, but the grizzly is no slouch.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Indicating the muzzle with a spider? Could someone explain to me what a spider is.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Saum

Thats what I call it, others may have a different name for it
but this is how it works.

When placeing the barrel through the spindle for chambering
the spider trues the muzzle end of the barrel,(just like the bushings,
sleeves or colletts) but the spider haveing 4 screws is infinitely
adjustable so you can true the muzzle to the bore.

As described earlier its just a sleeve that fits over the spindal with
4 adjusting screws. (Simple and homemade) but it realy works.

Just the way I do it.
J E CUSTOM
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Saum

Thats what I call it, others may have a different name for it
but this is how it works.

When placeing the barrel through the spindle for chambering
the spider trues the muzzle end of the barrel,(just like the bushings,
sleeves or colletts) but the spider haveing 4 screws is infinitely
adjustable so you can true the muzzle to the bore.

As described earlier its just a sleeve that fits over the spindal with
4 adjusting screws. (Simple and homemade) but it realy works.

Just the way I do it.
J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

James is right about running in a steady rest to crown or thread, but if you don't want to mark the barrel where the steadyrest runs, you have to make a rider ring, and if you are recrowning a barrel that has a front sight that is sweated on it, you can't get a rider ring on. One big advantage of a rider ring is that after it is in place, you can turn its O.D. concentric with the bore before setting up the steadyrest and removing the tailstock center. All this is very time consuming for a simple crown or muzzle thread.

If you can set up in the chuck, the sight will sometimes go between the jaws of a 3 jaw, or if you are careful, you can chuck up behind the sight and take very light cuts. You can use brass shims or card stock to protect the barrel finish and to push the bore axis true whether the barrel has sights or not.

One thing about the big hollow spindle lathe, if you fixture up, you can shove a short barrel into it receiver and all. JECustom told me years ago that a big lathe can do anything a small lathe can, plus a lot that a small lathe can never do.

Random question, would it be harder to find spindle nose accessories, like a collet set, for the hollow spindle?

Nice problem to have. Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

If the bore is 3 1/8 shouldnt I be able to use the collars I described and crown through the headstock without removing the action?

Wonder if I would be able to get an encore barrel in that bore? How tall is that welded lug from the centerline of the bore I wonder?

It would be nice to be able to cut threads for brakes and supressors through the headstock without having to pull the barrel.

The more I think about it the more appealing that big bore sounds. Thanks for giving me more stuff to think about.