Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Prototype Muzzle break

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Prototype Muzzle break

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
WTG Jerry ... congrats!

Ed
Thank you very much.

Its nice to get some support from people like you, when you try to help the sport of shooting especially in the current environment.

Shooting and hunting have been a part of my life for 55 years and I would like to contribute something back . (Sounds Hokey but it,s true).

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Congratulations Jerry!!

That's great news and I'm happy for you.

After watching your video demonstrating the barrel flex I will never have a top ported MB on anything less than a .50 cal!

You had some great 'advisers' there also.

One day we'll sit and chat and you can tell me all about the patent and trademark process. I'm sure it's as tedious as trying to buy a suppressor!

Good work Sir,

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Congratulations Jerry!!

That's great news and I'm happy for you.

After watching your video demonstrating the barrel flex I will never have a top ported MB on anything less than a .50 cal!

You had some great 'advisers' there also.

One day we'll sit and chat and you can tell me all about the patent and trademark process. I'm sure it's as tedious as trying to buy a suppressor!

Good work Sir,

DocB
Thanks Doc.

It is a hassle and a very large investment.

First you have to assemble all of your designs and descriptions of what you have designed and It,s function with all documentation and hire a patent attorney to go through it with you, then he has to fly to DC to do a patent search to find anything that is close or similar for review. after reviewing,
anything close has to be presented for clarification of the difference between your design and theirs.

The board reviews your application and determines if you will be infringing on other patents or not.

If it is excepted you have to submit a final application with all of the other documents (To make sure you didn,t change anything from the approval process.

After it is excepted, I will learn what I have to do for the final patent.

This was the short version and the process has changed over the years In some areas.

Cost has gone up from the last patent ($16,000.00 to over $20,000.00) and so has the lawyer fees.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j e custom View Post
thanks doc.

It is a hassle and a very large investment.

First you have to assemble all of your designs and descriptions of what you have designed and it,s function with all documentation and hire a patent attorney to go through it with you, then he has to fly to dc to do a patent search to find anything that is close or similar for review. After reviewing,
anything close has to be presented for clarification of the difference between your design and theirs.

The board reviews your application and determines if you will be infringing on other patents or not.

If it is excepted you have to submit a final application with all of the other documents (to make sure you didn,t change anything from the approval process.

After it is excepted, i will learn what i have to do for the final patent.

This was the short version and the process has changed over the years in some areas.

Cost has gone up from the last patent ($16,000.00 to over $20,000.00) and so has the lawyer fees.

J e custom

damn!!!

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
damn!!!
Exactly !!!!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

I am looking at re-barreling a 700 in 7RM to another caliber (do not know if I am going to stick with one of the 7mm's or go to one of the 30's yet) but I do know that I will put a brake on it. From what I have seen it looks like you have a very good design, do you know or have any idea of the price at which your brake will be set at yet? I will not do anything until the beginning of this next year, but I want to start to get the pieces together for the build.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycoates View Post
I am looking at re-barreling a 700 in 7RM to another caliber (do not know if I am going to stick with one of the 7mm's or go to one of the 30's yet) but I do know that I will put a brake on it. From what I have seen it looks like you have a very good design, do you know or have any idea of the price at which your brake will be set at yet? I will not do anything until the beginning of this next year, but I want to start to get the pieces together for the build.

Thanks

Thanks for considering my brake. It is developing well and the test are proving that Tuning it
increases the recoil reduction by 10 to 15 % on some calibers. I have been ask "How and what is tuning" . it involves matching each port to the pressure it will see by machining it. (Like tune the ports on a racing engine).

I am the only one doing this and the Assassin responds well to this process. other brakes don't have the proper design for this.

The brake already does better than any brake I have tested it against, Most brakes start around 35%
and go to just over 50%. The Assassin starts at 55% (The lowest reduction we have found) on the very smallest cartridges and over 70% on the very largest cartridges (Where you need the most reduction you can get).

I am developing a Web Site that will make it much easier for everyone to get the information needed, but for now just PM me and I will answer your questions.

If it sounds like I am bragging, I am. there are many good brakes available that do a good job of reducing recoil. and the only reason to buy an Assassin is for Maximum Recoil Reduction and sound
from a brake.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM