Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Problems with Lawton actions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Problems with Lawton actions?

I recieved and action from lawton and the bolt handle was installed with a slight cant to it. I contacted Lawton and they were graceious and offeered to fix the problem at no charge. I am just curious if my case is an isolated incident or have there been others with my same misfortune? How are your actions stacking up against versieco, Surgeon and others?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: Problems with Lawton actions?

I have purchased two Lawton 7500's within the last 6 months. One needed to have the bolt lugs lapped just a little and the other one was good to go.
I would definitely buy from them again.
Second one took 3 weeks from order to receipt.
Dave
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 AM

I'm just seeing if anyone else has had any other problems with thier actions. The rifle I have shoots great but before I buy again I want to make sure this was just a fluke. Anyone else?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

nope no problems just bought another
Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM

I have had several large problems with a Lawton barreled action. I will not go into the exact problems at this time because I am attempting to get some answer or attempt at resolution from Lawton. I had always been given the impression that Barney Lawton was an honest man and hope that Lawton at least explains what has happened. No resolution has been offered in the last 2 months. The gun does shoot very well but problems with finish, time frame, promises, wrong parts sent and price change. I had planned on ordering several more barreled actions from them soon but not until some attempt at resolution is made.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 PM

We learned that after waiting two years to get our rifles, Lawton had a run of bad welding of the bolt handles. My friends bolt handle came off while he chambered his first round. We used another gunsmith ( I can not find his name but have his phone) to replace the bolt handle at 701-794-3276. This gunsmith replaced my bolt handle and my friends with a weld covering a greater surface area. He also replaced the wacked out Lawton Machine bolt handle with a straight SSG style handle for me that should have been on my rifle in the first place.
I complained to Lawton about the bolt and sent it back and they bent it in another direction and down, that it was impractical to use with gloves. I have had better customer service at McDonalds. Check your bedding too, they did not use a release on mine and it had ripples and
had to get redone too. Lawton Machine's shop manager wrote me a hand written letter apologizing for the problems. When I finally went to zero my gun before my hunting trip, I discovered that the ammo would not feed from the AI magazine, out of the badger bottom metal into the chamber.
They never ramped the bottom metal and the receiver. Savage factory hunting rifles compared to Lawton Machine have ramped receivers, bolt handles that can be operated with the palm of your hand, and can feed ammo too!
If we could do it again we would use Surgeon Actions and another gunsmith.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM

The worst service I have ever seen! They are a joke,it is sad what has happened to Lawton.I would not trust them to make a dog house.