Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

problem with bolt cocking piece pin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

problem with bolt cocking piece pin

the rifle is a savage model 11 left hand. i had the bolt and accidentally pushed the cocking piece pin and now its stuck in the fired position, and it wont go back in the rifle in this position, so how do i get it back to the unfired position? it seems pretty stubborn and i haven't had luck getting the allen screw out of the back of the bolt. any help would b great! thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: problem with bolt cocking piece pin

Put an allen wrench in the bolt. Make sure that it is about 30-45 degrees to the bolt handle. Put it on the floor and step on it.

Unscrew the bolt enough to re-cock the pin.

Or take everything apart and see how it all works. While you got it open make and install a bolt lift kit with an empty 357 shell and a 5/16 ball bearing.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

hey, got it done!! just put a big one piece allen wrench in it and stepped on that turd! it popped when it came loose. got the bolt taken apart and took the ejector out which is what i was originally after. and can you explain the bolt lift kit? is this to get the pin to move back when ppl have the problem i just did? thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagebien View Post
hey, got it done!! just put a big one piece allen wrench in it and stepped on that turd! it popped when it came loose. got the bolt taken apart and took the ejector out which is what i was originally after. and can you explain the bolt lift kit? is this to get the pin to move back when ppl have the problem i just did? thanks!
The bolt lift kit is a DIY remedy that reduces the friction between the cocking sleeve and the bolt you just took off. It makes lifting the bolt (cocking) easier after firing a round. Basically, makes the action cycle smoother.

Take a de-primed 357 or 38 shell and trim off the walls of the shell down to the flash hole. Locktite or glue a 5/16Ē ball bearing into the primer pocket.

Here comes the tricky part. Youíll need to remove the thickness of the rim of the shell from the end of the bolt or the end of the cocking sleeve. Iíve also heard of putting a washer under the head of the bolt to offset the end of the bolt the correct amount.

What it is doing is concentrating the friction onto the single point of the bearing. As-is the friction is from the cocking sleeve onto the end of the bolt.

Hope that made sense. There are some write-ups on Savage Shooters.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

alright thanks, i'll c about it
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

I could have made and installed about 10 of them in the time it took to type all that out.

It's really easy and makes a big difference.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

They do work... I just don't have the patience to make them.

You can also buy them here http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/accessories.html for all of 7.50

TAC

Last edited by TAC; 10-23-2008 at 12:03 AM.