Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Primer strike issue 700 Rem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Primer strike issue 700 Rem

Broz, not to change the subject but, you mentioned brass from shawn, is that the betram that was headstamped 338 edge? He had talked about it a bit at the class I was at last june but hadn't heard if he had gotten it in. Thanks.

Hey, by the way, I am now using 103 grns of the RL33 and spittin the 300 SMKs right at 3000fps with the same pressure signs as the 92grn loads of H1000 @ 2840.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin93 View Post
Broz, not to change the subject but, you mentioned brass from shawn, is that the betram that was headstamped 338 edge? He had talked about it a bit at the class I was at last june but hadn't heard if he had gotten it in. Thanks.

Hey, by the way, I am now using 103 grns of the RL33 and spittin the 300 SMKs right at 3000fps with the same pressure signs as the 92grn loads of H1000 @ 2840.
Yes, this is the Betram brass Shawn had made.

Have you done and testing RL 33 to see if it is temp stable yet? I have not used it yet but worry this could be an issue for long range from what I have seen with the other RL powders.

Jeff
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Follow up on the soft primer strike issue. I replaced the light weight pin and spring assembly with a standard Remington assembly and took the rifle back out today. I had 4 rounds left that didn't fire before and took them as well. Before, a second try still would not fire them, no surprise right. But with the steel pin and stronger spring they all fired as well as all the other rounds we chambered.

Tonight I called and talked to the smith that built the rifle. He was not too surprised I had an issue with the light pin assembly. He has seen it before. This rifle was built some time ago and never put to use. He has since adopted the the plan of always installing a stronger .032" firing pin spring with all and any light pin used. He said this will cure all problems. So he is sending me the new spring to fix the original assembly. He feels it would be better to reinstall that assembly as he had "timed" it.

I wanted to hear his opinion as he is a well known and highly respected smith. He has built championship winning rifles. So, I asked him what he felt a light weight firing pin brought to the table. He quickly said " Just what you have just experienced" " Like the thicker barrel lug, it is something many request but really has no benefit over the factory stuff if it is trued and installed correctly".

The rifle shot pretty good today. We engaged a 3/4 moa rock at 1450 yards with a 10 mph wind. Cold bore shot grazed it and the second shot took off the edge. It is now a 1/2 moa 1450 yard target for next time.

Hope to take the rifle out for some long work soon.

Thanks to all that helped here. I will make a final report after I have installed the spring and LW pin again and let you know if it too works.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Broz, I ran into this with a 300 win mag I built for a customer. When I figured it out and changed the spring everything was fine. When you take the spring out lay them side by side. When I did that the light weight asy spring was shorter than a stock one. Will be interesting to see if yours is. Just curious, how did you check the clearance in the pin. I have a set of gauge pins that I check the size of small holes with. Some times it is not all that accurate with calibers. Dan
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

That is good news Jeff !!!

Sometimes the small things can eat us up.

Good to hear your smith feels the same about the problems with the light weight firing pin.

I also like to use the heavy spring as long as it does not snake(To large diameter) and drag on the inside of the bolt.

The light weight firing pin Is an improvement in lock time if the weapon has a slow lock time, but sometimes the advantage of the standard pin is dependability.

A very good bench rest shooter told me that he had tried the lighter firing pins and even though he
had no issues with them failing to fire (They normally use standard Match or bench rest primers
with thin cups) he did notice SD numbers went up slightly.

He thinks with less inertia in the pin, the burn rate of the primer is more inconsistent.

In your test, If you chronograph the loads with and without the light pin It would be interesting
data if you have it.

If you do have /get the data it could help all of the long range shooters.

Let us know how everything goes

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

DCGS, I used a set of wire drill shanks to find one that fit, then measured it. Then measured the pin and the drill shank with a micrometer.

I will compare springs too.

JE, Challenge accepted. I will run some through the Oehler 35 with both. That would be a good thing to know. If I learn a path to better and more consistant ES from this it will make it a worth while venture.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Very interesting to see the issue worked out, one to keep in the back of a guys mind for future trouble shooting!!