Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Pillar bedding necessay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

Pillar bedding necessay?

Hello,
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7RM. I have taken the plastic stock off and replaced it with Remington's Laminate Stock. I want to get the action bedded and my question is, "will pillar bedding make any significant difference with this set up? Should I just get the action glass bedded or should I get both?"
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pillar bedding necessay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_unzicker View Post
Hello,
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7RM. I have taken the plastic stock off and replaced it with Remington's Laminate Stock. I want to get the action bedded and my question is, "will pillar bedding make any significant difference with this set up? Should I just get the action glass bedded or should I get both?"
All stocks can benefit from pillar bedding because all of the materials used in making stocks
can compress over time reducing torque on the action screws.

Pillars allow for a metal to metal to metal fit keeping the stock material from being compressed.

Pillar bedding or bedding may not improve accuracy of the first couple of shots but it will improve
the consistency and this improves the accuracy.

I pillar bed "ALL" actions to eliminate one source of problems.

Bedding is good pillar bedding is better.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pillar bedding necessay?

Your first step is a good one. I personally prefer a good synthetic stock the majority of the time but a good laminated wood stock is my next choice. While the laminated stocks have epoxy impregenated in them, they can still have hard/soft spote in them. Even the laminated wood can compress over time, so pillar job helps.

A proper plain bedding job is better than factory inletting. A proper pillar bedding job is better than a plain bedding job. It's just a matter of to what lengths do you want to go for the most consistent accuracy over time.