Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Pillar bedding do they support action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Pillar bedding do they support action?

Not sure what they are, here is closer look:

Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Not sure what they are, here is closer look:

They do look like pieces of tubing and if they dont have any slots on eather end to screw them
in they are probably pressed in and can be removed .

I just pressed out a set just like them on a new stock for the same reason.

They also look very short .

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

if you look closely they have X mark on them, I think they did get in by something screwy they didn't really had any contact with action, upps got all the material taken away by dremel , but I'm leaving them in for now, I don't have new pilars to put it in, but I made them curvy so they'll hug around the action. Devcon, here it comes

Last edited by Jinx-); 06-28-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Gold Member

If you leave those original "Bolt Sleeves" (Pillars) in, you are making a mistake. JMHO
If you are going to do it your self read the link below over, and over until you understand the whole process and then go for it.

Dave

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

You right, well now I will have to mill them out then redo bedding one more time.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM

I am sure that I will get some disagreement, but in response to pillar bedding, I have a different approach. when one uses pillers surrounding the action screws to support the entire barrelled action-that is exactly what you have-support only by the minimal surface area of the top of the pillar. I feel that the pillar material and the bedding material should be the same-You cannot get bedding material and steel pillars to shrink uniformly. Have seen pillar bed jobs that glass bedding has shrunk enough to put all stress on just the tops of those little pillars.

When bedding action, the stock material can be cut out 1" around action screws and chanelled to the recoil lug even going back to magazine cutout. This then is poured as one unit and nothing is going to 'shrink away' leaving a minute amount to support entire barrelled action. It is important to use a tough bedding compound (I use Bisonite steel) and not some of the soft bedding compounds that are available. Again, pillars should be the same material as the bedding and poured at same time.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

That looks like a Savage stock to me. If it is, get rid of the center pillar and the center bolt when you bed it. Use the front and rear bolts only. The center bolt doesn't do anything useful and will almost unavoidably cause a lot of stress in the action. Two points make a line, 3 points exactly in line is almost impossible to achieve.

That's an easy stock to bed once you realize you need to get rid of the center bolt and pillar.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)