Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Pillar bedding do they support action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Pillar bedding do they support action?

I was concern how barrel in my benchrest stock position almost touching one side and having huge gap on the other so I took stock out and got some pictures. It looks like right side is not cut proportionally to the left one and pillars do not support action.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Pillar bedding do they support action?

The pillars job is to give the action screws something non-compressable to tighten against. A proper action bedding job should fix your concern. Pillar bedding is a misnomer in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

Thanx, notice taken, will get bedding done.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Pillars should come in contact with the action and the floor metal. and bedding is used to support
all areas of the action that touch the stock.

They are seperate but work together to improve the consistant fit of the action and prevent it
from changing causing accuracy problems.

With proper installation of pillars and bedding, a stress free mounting/mating of the action to
the stock is possible.

Pillars that don't come in contact with ether the action or the floor metal are not effective.

It looks like wood needs to be removed before any bedding is done and the pillars are two short
and need replacing.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

I will remove excess of wood, but the pillars, do they come out easy? I could try to drill them out. Maybe send it back, this is replacement I got for LRP. They say they checked it before shipping it to me...
Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Pillars should come in contact with the action and the floor metal. and bedding is used to support
all areas of the action that touch the stock.

They are seperate but work together to improve the consistant fit of the action and prevent it
from changing causing accuracy problems.

With proper installation of pillars and bedding, a stress free mounting/mating of the action to
the stock is possible.

Pillars that don't come in contact with ether the action or the floor metal are not effective.

It looks like wood needs to be removed before any bedding is done and the pillars are two short
and need replacing.

J E CUSTOM
+1

Mill out those pillars and do a proper bedding with properly installed pillars.
There is no such thing as a one size fits all in the quest for extreme accuracy...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
I will remove excess of wood, but the pillars, do they come out easy? I could try to drill them out. Maybe send it back, this is replacement I got for LRP. They say they checked it before shipping it to me...
Some factory pillars are simply a piece of tubing pressed in and can be removed by using a drift punch and tapping on it with a small hammer.

If they are not radius's to fit the action they only touch in two small areas.

Do a search on pillar bedding and Nesika chad has some great pictures of PROPER BEDDING.

J E CUSTOM