Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

payment question for smiths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: payment question for smiths

I usually have actions drop shipped direct to the smith, since he has an FFL. I will purchase the barrel, trigger and sometimes the stock and take to him. The smith will usually pay for small parts and include these in his invoice with labor.

My concern is that some gunsmiths will promise to complete a rifle in a few months, and it winds up being a year or two. In the meantime, your project waits while he works for his shooting buddies, or regular customers. If you have made a substantial down payment, there is no incentive for him to finish yours in the promised time frame.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Gene, I disagree there is a substanial incentive. Repeat customer, How many "atta boys" does it take to wipe out a "ooops". What I am getting at is bad info. gets around far faster than the good.

Isn't it funny in the instant gratification world we live in. We can't wait for anything.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

I also am having a custom gun built and put down 50%, then late last year got an invoice for additional payment for the parts "due to an ATF audit" similar to the OP.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

What does paying for the parts have to do with an ATF audit? Unless for some reason it's prudent for the smith to demonstrate the inventory he has is as little as possible. Although that might make sense in the event of maybe an IRS audit...ya know paying taxes on inventory...so less inventory, less taxes. Anyone know why or an educated guess?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Bronze Member

This doesn't sound right. Is it possible the smith was cited during ATF audit and needed money to fix the problem or pay a fine to stay in business. I really never heard of this happening. I have two builds going on now and paid 50% down and rest when completed.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 AM

I ask for 65% down just cause it's closer to what the major parts cost come's to. like chad said the ATF don't care about money. they just want to know who you got the action from and who it went to and that your paper work is stand up in court if it's ever needed.
gene
i work on orders on the in the order that i get all the part's come in unless someone want's to do things in stages. this way everyone get's treated the same and orders get out in the best time i can and hopefully it get's you to come back to me for your next project. without return business and good word of mouth no smith will last.

Jake