Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

payment question for smiths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

payment question for smiths

just wanted to know if there was some new rule about paying for parts during a build, a buddy is having a riifle built, he made a 1000.00 deposit when the gun was ordered ( fall of 08) a few months later he is contacted by the smith and was told somthing about the atf and that he needed topay for the rest of his parts ( custom action, stock, barrel ect ect ) so he did as he had used this guy in the past with no problems. now he still has no rifle and the smith says he will get to it but is way behind. mind you he is out 3800 for the set up including opitcs ( ordered by the smith) and says he feels as is he is getting a run around.

question is it normal to pay that much up front? i have had a few built but it was yrs ago and i just paid a small dep until gun is done.

thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: payment question for smiths

I'm having a rifle built by a site sponsor and I sent him the action and paid him $800. I'll pay the rest when it's ready. I don't believe the ATF line, though. Sounds like he needed capital and called it in early.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

+1 to what nomad said. I'm in the same position as him and had to pay $850 up front which is reasonable for parts that the smith did not have in stock. Hopefully everything turns out ok for your buddy!

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Last one I had done I just sent the action to the smith and had the barrel blank shipped there. Paid the balance when he was ready to ship it to me.

Chris
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'd be interested in what the sponsored smiths here have to say but over the years I have never been asked for more than 50% up front and usually less has been the norm in my experience.

Either way, I'd be fine with paying the parts up front - did the parts cost $3,800? It's certainly possible when you include a custom action and optics which could easily be $3,800 without the stock, bbl, etc.

Now the delivery date is another matter entirely. What was the original agreement with regard to the delivery date?

*Added* On the other side of the coin; I had a custom rifle built by Mike Bryant of Wheeler Texas. He shipped the rifle to me BEFORE he even sent out the invoice for the rifle. I called him thinking that he didn't realize that he hadn't received final payment but he laughed and said he knew it. He was just behind in his paperwork. Now that's trust!

Last edited by Varmint Hunter; 02-08-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

Had two custom built and one was on an ATF form 4 and did not pay a dime until project was done.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

My policy for whole builds:

If a customer supplies the parts: No deposit. Labor due in full upon delivery.

If I supply the parts: 50% deposit on parts. This is a good faith gesture.

Labor jobs only: 100% due upon completion.

Having just recently been approved for my Type 07 manufacturer's FFL the agent who conducted my interview made no reference to how I collect money. The BATF isn't in the "money" business anymore. The dept of Treasury collects the taxes now.