Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Patience is a virtue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Patience is a virtue...

...that I don't have.

Fellas,

I ordered a custom gun form a few weeks back and ended up settling with a HS Precision thumbhole sporter stock which they had in stock. It wasn't my number one pick, but I figured rather than wait 4-5 months to order a MacMillan A5 I'd make do and fine tune the thumbhole.

Fast forward to yesterday and my rifle shows up. Nice enough gun but I need to address a few things on it. LOP which I knew about when I tested the stock, but that's minor. More noticeable was a cheek weld ~1-1.5" too low. With a 20 moa rail and a 56mm scope it's just too much of a stretch. I'm about an inch from my chin just to pick up a field of view in the scope.

I don't know what all of my options are. The first one might be to have an adjustable cheek piece inletted into the stock right? Well I talked to one fellow and he was skeptical as to the possibility with the thumbhole stock as the thumbhole may interfere with it.

Another much more painful option would be to flush the money I paid for this stock, inletting, bedding etc. down the crapper and order and wait for a more suitable stock. I'm trying to avoid this option.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thank,
Kevin.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Patience is a virtue...

[QUOTE=Evilsports;633472]...that I don't have.

Fellas,

I ordered a custom gun form a few weeks back and ended up settling with a HS Precision thumbhole sporter stock which they had in stock. It wasn't my number one pick, but I figured rather than wait 4-5 months to order a MacMillan A5 I'd make do and fine tune the thumbhole.

Fast forward to yesterday and my rifle shows up. Nice enough gun but I need to address a few things on it. LOP which I knew about when I tested the stock, but that's minor. More noticeable was a cheek weld ~1-1.5" too low. With a 20 moa rail and a 56mm scope it's just too much of a stretch. I'm about an inch from my chin just to pick up a field of view in the scope.

I don't know what all of my options are. The first one might be to have an adjustable cheek piece inletted into the stock right? Well I talked to one fellow and he was skeptical as to the possibility with the thumbhole stock as the thumbhole may interfere with it.

Another much more painful option would be to flush the money I paid for this stock, inletting, bedding etc. down the crapper and order and wait for a more suitable stock. I'm trying to avoid this option.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Defensive edge has a bolt on cheek piece that a lot of the fellows are using and it is simple to
install.

Look on his site and you will see it.

There are others also.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

J E is 100% correct.

I have one of Defensive Edge cheek piece on my 223AI and Shawn's bolt on cheek piece is not only very functional but it's simple and resonably priced. The stock on mine is also a HS Prec. but it's not a thumbhole.

This is what mine looks like with a Defensive Edge cheek piece.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Patience is a virtue...-007.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Throw a pic of your setup on here. I'd like to see it. Chad Dixon has the ability to do the adjustable cheek piece, out of the stock similar to the A-5 or Manners. He also makes his own hardware so no waiting for that. He will be doing just that on my Manners MCS-T5 shortly.

LongRifles, Inc.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

There are also slip on buttstock cheek rest/ammo pouches available. But, 1.5" seems like a lot of gap to bridge.

eagle shooters stock pack is one that comes to mind. There are many others with various features/pros/cons.

-- richard
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Here's a bunch:

Thanks for the advice fellas. I ordered one of the bolt on adjustable cheek pieces. I was in Bass Pro today and I also picked up a neoprene sleeve with foam inserts to tide me through. I'm thinking one of the two should get her dialed in.

Thanks again,
Kevin.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
J E is 100% correct.

I have one of Defensive Edge cheek piece on my 223AI and Shawn's bolt on cheek piece is not only very functional but it's simple and resonably priced. The stock on mine is also a HS Prec. but it's not a thumbhole.

This is what mine looks like with a Defensive Edge cheek piece.
That looks perfect. Was your stock hollow? Any tips to drilling the holes?

Thanks.