Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Painting a Fiberglass Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

Painting a Fiberglass Stock

Has anyone had any experience painting their own stock. I have a fiberglass stock I am considering painting. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Painting a Fiberglass Stock

It depends on the type of material the stock is made out of. The hard plastic like the Remington is a little hard to get the paint to stay on well. Krylon (SP?) has a paint that is made to stick to plastic pretty good so that should work well for them. The only ones I have painted have been like the H-S Precision that has a little ruff-er texture and wood stocks. For sure you need to ruff up the surface with some sandpaper first. I do a digital camo pattern like this. I first paint the complete stock with a FLAT sand color 3 or 4 coats and let dry between coats. Then I take a piece of plastic matting that is used for needle point. You can find it in the sewing dept at Wal-Mart or craft stores. It is a matting that has little squares in it. You can lay this on top of the stock and give it a little swiping spray of FLAT black paint then move it and give another place on the stock a swiping spray of FLAT olive green. Blending your black and olive green in to make it look like digital camo. I got my paint at the Wal-Mart. They used to have their own brand in these FLAT colors but now I think all they have is from Krylon in the sand and olive green but the standard Wal-Mart flat black will do. This paint has stood up to about 5 years of hunting and range shooting and has not come off yet.

Last edited by RT2506; 01-10-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Follow the same process the body shop does for autos..........

Think smooth, any flaw however slight shows through......
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a whirl.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

I have sprayed two composite stocks with auto enamel, several colors, not in camo. Always apply several primer coats first. Finaly, a clear coat or two to resist moisture.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Thank you Gene. Have you guys ever had a stock "Dipped"? Several websites do them. I just never have and the quality is my concern.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Funny you asked that, because I thought about giving you this referral but then it seemed obvious you want to paint the stock yourself. I am thinking seriously of having one of my benchrest stocks dipped. I have never seen a hydro dipped stock, and would like to hear from anybody who has had that process applied. I have been in contact with this company, and to date I have selected one pattern, and they could not match it. I am not real crazy about the other patterns I see. I will choose another very soon. They do have many camo patterns. The cost to hydro dip a stock is $500. Even if you choose not to do it, take a look at their patterns, they are real neat. Gene

Camouflage / Carbon Fiber / Wood Grains / Burl Wood