Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Paint prep for walnut and blued

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member
Paint prep for walnut and blued

I am setting up an old ruger 243 for my daughter. I've had the barrell and stock cut down. My daughter will get the rifle for christmas. She's expressed a desire for camo while we were shopping. The rifle is blued and walnut. Both in good condition. I do not mind painting over these finishes. However, I want the results to be good. What do I need to do to prep each? I am planning to paint with Krylon.

Unread 10-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Silver Member
Re: Paint prep for walnut and blued

Wiping with denatured alcohol to remove any surface oil is a good start. A little lacquer thinner will usually cut the gloss on stock finishes.

If you really wanted the paint to adhere, the finishes should be roughed up a little, like with a very coarse ScotchBrite pad.

When ready to paint, mask off the bolt, cover the scope lenses and tape any exposed turret markings.

A good primer is very important.

I helped a buddy Krylon paint his rifle and it came out pretty good for a garage job:Maryland Shooters - View Single Post - The Official Precision Bolt Gun Picture Thread

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

It depends on whether you want the finish on the wood to be smooth, as in your auto paint job, or if you can live with the pores showing through the paint.

I use bondo to fill all checkering and to fill any dents or dings. I also use bondo to cover the entire stock and sand to remove most but not see the pores/grain.

I then prime w/grey primer and sand. I then prime with black primer and sand to reveal any low spots.

When satisfied with the uniformity of the preparation its then time to hit it with the paint, stencils, etc to get the camo look that is desired.

If the finish is going to be black, I'm not very particular about the dings and dents as I use rattle can truck bed liner. It's just rough enough to be nice w/o being too rough. It can then be camo'd as you wish but be careful that the stencil/masking tape is sealed really well on the edges or there gets to be some excess covering.

Unread 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

On wood or fiberglass I use a product from the auto parts store, it's made by 3M, it's called 3M Rocker Panel Spray. It give a nice slip free texture,and paint adheres to it very well.