Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Over torqued talley rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Bronze Member

Over torqued talley rings

I have a buddies gun that I am working on that is extremely inaccurate. It's rem sendero 300wm shooting hsm 185gr. I found out he torqued the talley light weight rings to 40 in-lb and the rings to 30 in-lb per steel spec. Torque recommendations: For the lightweight alloy mounts: 20-25 in-lb for the base and 17 in-lb for the rings. Could this be the reason it hardly hits paper at 200 yards? Should it be that extreme? It's got to be something else right?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

He's lucky he didn't strip the threads somewhere. I strongly doubt that excessive torque is the cause of extreme dispersion. I would look at the usual suspects: damaged crown, ammo, fouled barrel, poor stock fit, scope, etc.

What scope is on the rifle?

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Over torqued talley rings

Vortex HS
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevotary View Post
. Could this be the reason it hardly hits paper at 200 yards? Should it be that extreme? It's got to be something else right?
I bet it is part of the problem. If its as bad as you make it sounds seems like something else may be going on as well.

There are quite a few threads of people over tightening vortex scopes with interesting results.

Maybe why my vortex came with a tag wrapped right around where you would put the ring suggesting to using proper torque driver and recommended specs.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Bronze Member

I'm don't think the 28 in-lbs would hurt the scope. That is what the steel rings are tightened to. It would just strip the threads on the alumininum rings right?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I agree. I don't see the physics of how excessive ring torque can cause POI dispersion. In my experience when there is a problem with scope installation, it's because of poor ring alignment, poor boresight alignment, or too little torque on the screws.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help guys. It was the ammo that wasn't shooting well. Switchedf to barnes and its shooting awesome.