Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

out of windage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: out of windage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARTFRNCS View Post
I always redrill and tap to 8-40 when I true an action. Yes they are always off some a little some alot. My advice is to have the action redrilled anyway you need to have zero focal plane deviation. Also if you decide to not redrill costs about 150 to 200 bucks when done as a seperate operation, and use a windage ajustable base make sure your not flexing the scope tube. If you do you wont be looking through the center of the focal plane.Bart
Thanks for the info...will call around locally and see what the local smiths charge to redrill and tap.......I have a drill press and I have ran a mill and lathe before, is this something in the realm of possibility for a some what skilled novice or should I leave it to a pro?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM

First you need a way to coaxialy indcate in your action on a mill a drillpress likly has to much runout. Next line up the centerlineof the bolt raceway with the top dead center of the action it helps to have a DRO on your mill. Next take a endmill centercuting if posiable and cut the holes in your actions scope base patern. Tap to 8-40 threads. 150 bucks is cheap considering your probly going to have to remove the barrel. Thats why I do it while I'm blue printing the action.Bart
Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARTFRNCS View Post
First you need a way to coaxialy indcate in your action on a mill a drillpress likly has to much runout. Next line up the centerlineof the bolt raceway with the top dead center of the action it helps to have a DRO on your mill. Next take a endmill centercuting if posiable and cut the holes in your actions scope base patern. Tap to 8-40 threads. 150 bucks is cheap considering your probly going to have to remove the barrel. Thats why I do it while I'm blue printing the action.Bart
If it is that involved, sounds like 150 is a bargain.......and I would be better letting my smith do it......
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Cheap for a couple of jigs and about 30 min of machine time.Bart
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

Well, it is as I figured...the holes in the receiver are drilled off center.........Changed the base, and it still is way off. I did manage a temporary fix, talked to my local gun guy and he gave me a set of the millet angle loc rings, they have windage adjustment built into the ring itself. Will roll with that till I get some time to get the bases worked out and drilled properly.........I do not really like the way those rings look, the Signature Zee's should be here tommorow so I may just roll with them and call it good till after hunting season and then do a rebuild on this rifle......
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
Well, it is as I figured...the holes in the receiver are drilled off center.........Changed the base, and it still is way off. I did manage a temporary fix, talked to my local gun guy and he gave me a set of the millet angle loc rings, they have windage adjustment built into the ring itself. Will roll with that till I get some time to get the bases worked out and drilled properly.........I do not really like the way those rings look, the Signature Zee's should be here tommorow so I may just roll with them and call it good till after hunting season and then do a rebuild on this rifle......

Sounds Like you have a handle on your problem and have an idea how to deal with it.

Milling the new holes is the correct way to fix the alignment because drills will follow the existing
holes and wont correct the problem.

It is also the most expensive way to fix it ,But you can use any base and rings that you want
(A real plus).

This was very common with all factory rifles in the past but not so much any more.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Sounds Like you have a handle on your problem and have an idea how to deal with it.

Milling the new holes is the correct way to fix the alignment because drills will follow the existing
holes and wont correct the problem.

It is also the most expensive way to fix it ,But you can use any base and rings that you want
(A real plus).

This was very common with all factory rifles in the past but not so much any more.

J E CUSTOM
Yeah, this gun is a New Haven M70, and best I can tell the last time Win made this configuration was in 05, and that was about the time things started going down hill there at the New Haven Plant. I will just roll with it for a few months, and depending on how it shoots, may rebarrel and have everything trued up and blueprinted.