Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

ordering reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

ordering reamers

So, I ordered my first reamer 2 days ago from PTG along with the Grizzly Rod, bushings, etc...

I have to say they were really nice to speak with on the phone, but seemed very unorganized.

You can't order through the website. So, I called it in. They took my order and I asked when it might ship and they simply said they had no way to know. Apparently, the ordering folks can't tell if anything is in stock. When asked if they would notify me when it will ship, they said they couldn't promise that.

For someone that works in an industry where people quibble over seconds of downtime per year, this all seemed a little too non-challant for me.

Heck. I was even ordering plain vanilla 270 Winchester just to keep everything as simple as possible.

Do I need to worry? Or, is everything going to show up here in a few weeks?

Is there a better source to order reamers and bushings from?

I see that Midway sells PTG and at least they track inventory and the website tells you up front if something's in-stock. I would've gone that route except that they didn't have 270 Win in-stock with the interchangeable pilot. They also didn't have the rods, etc.

I wanted to complete the first rebarrel before getting too far ahead of myself. But, perhaps I need to order a few more items sooner rather than later?

Thanks!!

p.s. It was kind of a flashback to the good ole days when we'd stop by the blacksmith's shop when he was out to lunch and pick up whatever we needed and phone him later to let him know what we got. We'd eventually get a bill and it was always correct. ...the original self-checkout. Business was conducted on a handshake.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ordering reamers

NO, worries!!! I've been ordering all my stuff from PT&G, the gals are always nice and I get my questions taken care of. All my orders come when they come, if in stock within a week and if not, like the 270 reamer bushing set, it takes a few weeks. Quality is excellent it seems.
I need to get another order in for another Griz rod and 338 bushing set!

Grizzly also stocks some PT&G reamers and gauges, I've used them a couple times also.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reassurance.

I went ahead and called again to order the 6.5-284 Norma Match reamer for the Kreiger 1:8 palma barrel that's been sitting by my desk for a year now and they had no record of my order. Apparently I had spoken with the new guy. Anyway, one of the gals got me fixed up and I have a little more confidence now.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
SPONSOR

Why not just call Manson Precision Reamers and talk to Dara. Chances are she'll be the one who answers the phone and she has the answers to your questions!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

I may try that next time.

It just seems odd for an industry that's all about precision, the websites, descriptions, ordering procedures, etc... are pretty sketchy.

Anyways... looks like the order is on its way now.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Why not just call Manson Precision Reamers and talk to Dara. Chances are she'll be the one who answers the phone and she has the answers to your questions!
I gave Manson a try a couple weeks ago and did not have a good experience, I think someone was having a bad day but not going to use them unless I'm ordering a specific item with a part #!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
SPONSOR

I've had the same kind of experience with PT&G as you had with Manson. Have problem with one of PT&G's products and called (politely, I might add) and was told "Dave" would call me back. That was three weeks a go. Not the first time I've had a problem with no responce from PT&G, but probably my last. Always been very happy with the sevice and tools I've got from Manson over the last 20 years or so.