Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Opinions requested on custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Opinions requested on custom rifle

If you have a piece of Rem. factory bottom metal, remove this one and try it (the Rem.). Notice any difference?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 PM

I am a gunsmith and would not have taken $4000 from a customer for what you have pictured unless the customer knew what they were getting. Having a mismatch like that on a wood stock is troublesome to fix but doable. On a fiberglass stock, there is no excuse for not fixing it. Even if you the customer provided all the pieces and the 'smith was just putting it together, you should have been spoken to and a joint decision made on how to proceed. I suspect at $4K, you did not provide the pieces.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

I got screwed by the same so called "gunsmith" - putty & paint don't make a custom rifle!!!! There are several guys that have contacted me who have used this same guy - they are not happy with their rifles either.

I completely tore my rifle apart after only having it for a week - kept only the action and trigger. I wasted $2200 on this guy trying to builld me a custom rifle - it'll never happen again!! Ordered the rest of the parts I needed & sent them away to a well-respected gunsmith.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be happy with it either and after reading the previous post it sounds like your smith is not the perfectionist I would want to do anything significant for me!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM

The lesson here is to check out gunsmiths thoroughly before committing to an expensive project. Pictures of prior projects and testimonials may not always be accurate and truthful, but the customer should do their due diligence before committing to the project. This gunsmith provided poor service to his/her customer. I am only talking about how a customer can increase the odds that your hard-earned dollars are well spent.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

The STOCK is the problem. All that metal was made to fit.. 1..single.. body profile, and that stock doesnt conform to that profile.

I just went thru this sort of situation myself but...I had chosen a laminated wood stock...whereby I could "work" the wood to make it conform to a good fit. The trigger guard I actually BENT so that the rear matched the stock but it made the front of it ( ADL style trigger guard) a little low...but I put two THIN shims under that end and it came out smooth and flush.

All in all....Id say your "fit up" is typical for todays "custom guns" in that price range.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Good points sully2! It's much easier to start with a piece of wood and shape it to match the metal you are working with than to try and work a stock to metal like we're talking about here. I really have no idea what the costs are nowadays for doing a perfect job like I would want with the gun in the pictures. Thankfully, I have enough great shooters in the safes that I'll never have to worry about it either!