Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Opinions on Norma Mag Chambered on a Howa/Vanguard Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Opinions on Norma Mag Chambered on a Howa/Vanguard Action

Ward Brian that has that Norma article on here has had built many on Remington 700. I thought I saw where one test rifle had 8000 rnds,dont quote me on that.I was going to have my 340 wby made into a 338 Norma and had 2 different smiths advise not to,which I am glad I didnt because it gave me a nice rifle for my son.But I have friend that shoots bench and he had a 338 LAI on a mark v and Broz I think had a 338 la on one.If the Rem could handle it I dont know why not but I think it varies with smiths
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Opinions on Norma Mag Chambered on a Howa/Vanguard Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Actually, Remington did make the Lapua on a 700 Action, the MLR Police version and XCR Tactical. I cant find it on their current web site. Did they stop making them? If so why? A safety issue? Any recall?

Savage also makes them on their 10/110, 11/111 and 110 BA. I don't know a lot about Savages, but I think these are standard actions?

Savage Arms
I remember seeing some where that the savage actions
chambered in 338 Lapua have .050" added to the bolt
lugs. I think that was the only modification though.