Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Opinions on Norma Mag Chambered on a Howa/Vanguard Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Opinions on Norma Mag Chambered on a Howa/Vanguard Action

The Norma Mags have the same boltface as the Lapua which increases bolt thrust force. I know there is an outfit in Europe that does Lapua conversions on Howa actions. That said there seems to be some controversy as to whether or not the Howa action is strong enough for the increased bolt thrust.

Would appreciate opinions.

Thanks

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Opinions on Norma Mag Chambered on a Howa/Vanguard Action

A while back there was a link to a video of various rifles being fired with their barrels welded shut. The Howa actions were of the few that held together. While it was more of a barrel strength test than strictly an action test it shows to me that they are as good as any. I have one in 300WBY that I have considered rebarreling to the Norma, so far nothing I have seen gives me any worries.
Cliff

Last edited by CliffM; 05-12-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

IF you have to ask if it is safe, you really should be asking is saving $200-300 worth your eyesight or life?

Darwin awards are always looking for nominees.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
IF you have to ask if it is safe, you really should be asking is saving $200-300 worth your eyesight or life?

Darwin awards are always looking for nominees.
Actually, I can pick up a Howa/Vanguard action for about $200-$300 and then another $300 for truing vs a $1200 custom action. That's quite a difference, but not practical if the action isn't up to it. That said, Howa actions are good sturdy actions. My question is, are they up to the increased bolt thrust. Remington and Savage are making 338 Lapua's on their actions and Howa's have one piece ported bolts which are "safer" than the Rem bolts. The Howa lugs are as good as the Rem's, so I figure the Howa should be good to go unless someone has some info to the otherwise.

So if you have some info or facts to add to your Darwin opinion, I would be interested

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
A while back there was a link to a video of various rifles being fired with their barrels welded shut. The Howa actions were of the few that held together. While it was more of a barrel strength test than strictly an action test it shows to me that they are as good as any. I have one in 300WBY that I have considered rebarreling to the Norma, so far nothing I have seen gives me any worries.
Cliff
Thanks Cliff, I don't have any concerns with overall PSI because that should be the same in a 30-06 or a 338 LM. I am wondering about the increased bolt thrust due to the larger bolt face. I don't think it should be a problem and a couple of smiths I've talked to don't think it would be a problem.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Savage used a different and stronger action on their 33

Remington did not use a 700 action for their new SOCOM sniper rifle.

WHY?

Enough said. Seldom do the words cheap, right and safe and go into the same sentence
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Savage used a different and stronger action on their 33

Remington did not use a 700 action for their new SOCOM sniper rifle.

WHY?

Enough said. Seldom do the words cheap, right and safe and go into the same sentence
Actually, Remington did make the Lapua on a 700 Action, the MLR Police version and XCR Tactical. I cant find it on their current web site. Did they stop making them? If so why? A safety issue? Any recall?

Savage also makes them on their 10/110, 11/111 and 110 BA. I don't know a lot about Savages, but I think these are standard actions?

Savage Arms

~ John Quincy Adams