Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

opinions on Choate tactical stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

opinions on Choate tactical stocks

i'm looking at a build and trying to decide on a stock. anyone have any experience with the choate tactical? likes/dislikes?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: opinions on Choate tactical stocks

I had one on a savage 10. it fetl awesome was pretty heavy but for just shooting was very comfortable, however it did not match up with the action very well at all, in fact it was horrific. There was a 1/4" between the stock and rear tang. and all along the side of the action/stock there was a pretty big gap. I wouldnt buy another unless i saw some good reviews for their stocks for another make. But never again for savage

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

I have used several, and still use one on long action rem 700 22-250. Fit is excellent, no problems like TIKKAMIKE had. They are heavy, but this is not a problem on this rifle, used as a dog shooter from prone and "off the flat bed" shooting.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

good to know, because they do feel pretty sweet. If they fit good I would buy one in a heart beat for a varmint rifle

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

I can't remember where I saw the info, but the Choate's are designed to specifically have a gap at the rear tang on the Savages. The newer model Savages tend to have a larger gap when mated up with any of Choate's stocks where the old Savage actions tend to have a slimmer gap. But it is with Choate's intention that there is a "free float" at the back. They actually advise against bedding that particular section.

I agree the stocks tend to be a little heavy. But a heavier stock also equates to lesser recoil. Granted a VERY small reduction in recoil. Still, as a larger guy myself, I don't mind the extra weight... and personally I find the stock to be supremely rigid, durable and comfortable to shoot. I shoot a Savage 111 300WM on the Choate Ultimate Sniper and I have had nothing but good luck with it. For the prices, I would strongly consider Choate. However, if you have the scratch for something better by all means opt up, I mean, as much as I love Choate, they don't compare to something like McMillan.

Hope this helped

TK
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

I got one for $40 at a gunshow.

I is really heavy.

Normally injection molded plastic is the kiss of death to rifle stocks, but if it is thick enough and has an Aluminum V block for a round bottomed [cheap to make Rem 700 or Sav110 design] then it works well, but is very heavy.

It even has a Lead insert in the handle.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
opinions on Choate tactical stocks-6mmbr-krieger-barrel-harrel-brake-harris-bi-pod-choates-stock-ior-scope-ior-rings-bt-covers-rem-.jpg   opinions on Choate tactical stocks-6mmbr-group-resized.jpg  

Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

The lead insert is actually sort of a nice option. The handle is hollow so it is not like you have to have the lead, but if you need to balance the rifle, or deaden some of the recoil by all means throw in the lead. I know some people that use that extra space to carry a roll of tools for the field. They have the wrench for their scope, small roll of tape etc. I think for the price, it is quite a versatile stock.