Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Off center primer strikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Off center primer strikes

There's an AGI DVD on refurbishing old millitary Mausers.

One of the procedures they perform is welding the firing pin hole shut and then re-drilling it on center and with proper clearance. It's a pretty low-tech operation.

I suppose you could purchase a replacement bolt and/or aftermarket one if they're made for anything other than Rem 700's. Either way, you still need a smith to check your clearances, headspace, etc.

Gretan can probably do it for aesthetics. But, if you are chasing accuracy, then he may recommend truing the action and/or rebarrelling at the same time.

-- richard
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Off center primer strikes

Thanks for the response, i will be contacting gre-tan in the future to see what they have to say about working on the rifle but currently funds are lacking and i don't want to bother them until i can actually get the work done as i am sure they are busy. As far as accuracy goes this rifle will easily shoot under moa since i floated the barrel and give it the loads that it likes. However, rebarreling and chambering in a 280 ackley improved sure seems like fun.