Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Odd trigger adjustment on remington 700 sps - x-mark pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM

Odd trigger adjustment on remington 700 sps - x-mark pro

Hey all. First off, I'm new here so forgive me if I violate any unspoken rules of the forum.

I have a Remington 700 sps tactical in 308 that has the x-mark pro trigger in it. Now, supposedly these trigger are adjustable and ought to drop to around 3-3.5 lbs. The trigger I have does not change a bit when you move the adjustment screw in or out. I seriously have the screw sitting on my workbench right now, the gun is back together, and I cannot feel a difference in the pull weight. I don't have a scale, but I'm used to a 2lb trigger on my muzzleloader and this 308 feels like its around 6. With the adjustment screw out, it still cocks and doesn't fail a drop test. I'm not sure if there is anything a guy can do to make this trigger decent.

At some point I'm going to buy an aftermarket trigger. I've been told that Jewell is the way to go, but I can't fork out $220 for a trigger right now. Is a Timney still a good trigger? I can snag one of those for about $135.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Odd trigger adjustment on remington 700 sps - x-mark pro

Shilen trigger. Should be close to $100. Look on Midway/Brownells. You can buy it directly at Shilen too, but more expensive since they don't undercut the major retailers. I did not have to touch any of the adjustments on mine when I got it. Huge improvement from the factory POS.

In my opinion, it is vastly superior to any of the Rifle Basix triggers, just a whole different level of workmanship.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Shilen trigger. Should be close to $100. Look on Midway/Brownells. You can buy it directly at Shilen too, but more expensive since they don't undercut the major retailers. I did not have to touch any of the adjustments on mine when I got it. Huge improvement from the factory POS.

In my opinion, it is vastly superior to any of the Rifle Basix triggers, just a whole different level of workmanship.
My brother said Shilen as well, but the only reason i'm leaning towards Timney is cause I have $164 in amazon credit, and they have a Timney for sale for about $120ish.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM
SPONSOR

You'd have to buy the safety parts if you go with a Shilen, as it's supplied it's designed to use the original Rem. parts, but, the X-Mar Pro parts won't be compatiable. Uses the "Old Style" Rem. saftey. They're excellent triggers, though.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
My brother said Shilen as well, but the only reason i'm leaning towards Timney is cause I have $164 in amazon credit, and they have a Timney for sale for about $120ish.
Timney is fine... Especially if you already have it 'paid for'
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

I just went through the same thing with my Rem XMark.......I have both Jewel and Timney on my rifles. For the trigger weight you desire, I think you will be very happy with the Timney. Very crisp clean, break, well made, and easily adjustable. I actually prefer the wider trigger shoe on the Timney over the Jewel for my hunting rifles. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

Go with the Timney since it is paid for I have 3-4 xmarks hanging in jewell bags if that tells you anything.