Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

?To nut or not to nut?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

?To nut or not to nut?

I'm getting ready to build two 338's on Savage long actions, I was thinking that with the longer 30in+ heavy barrels that shouldering the barrel conventionally and not using a nut would support the barrel better but I know some of you guys are rocking monster tubes with the nut, I need some pro and cons here.
Barrel swapping is not a prime concern, consistency and accuracy are!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: ?To nut or not to nut?

Hey Mate these builds of your's are leaving you little time for sleep i can see!Are you still considering the 338 norma.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

If it were me, I'd true the action, or at least machine the receiver front face square to the bolt bore, get a precision ground recoil lug, and use a shouldered barrel with out the nut. The reason is shouldering the barrel to contact the recoil lug directly eliminates any misalignment that might be built into the nut.

The pro is elimination of a potential source of misalignment and thus possibly better accuracy. The con is that the barrel will only fit that particular action. You pick your pony and take your ride.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300R View Post
Hey Mate these builds of your's are leaving you little time for sleep i can see!Are you still considering the 338 norma.
Very little sleep, I gotta get it all straight in my mind and on paper then I can settle down and start ordering parts!

There is something about the 338 Norma Mag that just grabs me so I had better build one and get it over with

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
If it were me, I'd true the action, or at least machine the receiver front face square to the bolt bore, get a precision ground recoil lug, and use a shouldered barrel with out the nut. The reason is shouldering the barrel to contact the recoil lug directly eliminates any misalignment that might be built into the nut.

The pro is elimination of a potential source of misalignment and thus possibly better accuracy. The con is that the barrel will only fit that particular action. You pick your pony and take your ride.

Fitch
I've trued a couple nuts and it improved accuracy so I think the nut can be a real source of problems. I'm not worried about switching barrels, these will be long life chamberings on dedicated LRH rifles so staying very stable and consistent will be the primary goal, that's why I'm leaning nut less.
Thanks for the feed back Fitch.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I've trued a couple nuts and it improved accuracy so I think the nut can be a real source of problems
I think you answered your own question mate, go with your gut.

Im with you on the 338 norma i really wanna build one too ,i love the fact it is designed around the 300 smk,works in a short barrel,fits in a standard magazine and has proven inherently accurate by design but if i were you i would stay with a 26' barrel maybe even shorter, most of the testing was done in shorter barrels.Do you think the shorter heavy barrels has something to do with better accuracy?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

If your not going to be switching barrels leaving out the nut is the only way to go.