Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

New Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM

New Stock

I just received a boyds' featherweight thumbhole stock for my Remington 700 BDL. My question is do you tighten both tang and recoil screws down together or alternate and how much torque.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster97 View Post
I just received a boyds' featherweight thumbhole stock for my Remington 700 BDL. My question is do you tighten both tang and recoil screws down together or alternate and how much torque.
Do a search for "Torque recommendations" and it has all of the torque values for different types of
stocks and uses.

Wood stocks do there best with pillars and bedding. A plain wooden stock should be torqued between 30 and 45 inch/pounds max.

Do each action screw separately starting with the front hand tight and the barrel pushed back against the recoil surface in the stock. (You can stand the rifle up on the but plate/recoil pad to start with)then follow up with the tang screw. Torque in 10 pound increments until you reach the recommended torque.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Re: New Stock

Thank You!