Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

new question on mauser safeties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

new question on mauser safeties

Ok ,now that I have the bolt apart,I am going to replace the safety with a boyd trigger with safety on it.can i just leave the old safety out when i put it back together?Can i just put a plug in place of old safety to cover hole? I love mauser actions,have 3 now and just learning what can be done to improve them.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM
SPONSOR

Re: new question on mauser safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadad View Post
Ok ,now that I have the bolt apart,I am going to replace the safety with a boyd trigger with safety on it.can i just leave the old safety out when i put it back together?Can i just put a plug in place of old safety to cover hole? I love mauser actions,have 3 now and just learning what can be done to improve them.
You can. A better choice is a Timney trigger. A better choice, yet, is a Timney w/o a safety and a Dakota bolt shroud with a 3 postion sfatey, like a Win. 70 has. (foot note; bolt shrouds know as 'commercial' are available so you don't have to plug the hole if you use a trigger with a safety, like the Timney or Bold.)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member

So you are saying that I can just plug the hole when using the boyd side safety attached to trigger?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Shortgrass, I wasn't aware of the Dakota, I have used Gentry, and I think my oldest one is the NECG. Generally you have a reason for your preferences, appreciate an expanded answer if you don't mind. Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadad View Post
So you are saying that I can just plug the hole when using the boyd side safety attached to trigger?
Yes,, that is what I am saying. I'll go on to say it looks cheesy as all git out when it's done that way. At minimum, I'd replace the military shroud with a commercial shroud if I was going to use a trigger with a safety. For HARPERC, I feel the Dakota safety just has nicer fit and finish than the others. They all get fit to a bolt in, basically, the same way, but any time I can save some time when preping for bluing, I'm all for it. If you're coating that 'nicer' finish means little.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I don't attempt stuff like that myself, but the guys who put mine in found it challenging. Definitely not drop in. The Dakota is priced less as well. If I have a next one I'll have to try them.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM
SPONSOR

You are correct, they're not "drop-in". I've developed a 'system' for installation which takes alot of the guess work out of it. When I put it on 'full safe' position. I don't want that bolt handle to able to be lifted at all. A nice tight fit. I've seen some where you could lift the bolt handle a quarter to a third of the way, it just makes my skin crawl. Kind of a 'sloppy' installation, IMO. Once its screwed up there's no fixing it without a different bolt. It goes down hill from there, quickly.