Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

Andrew,
You see that raised ring around the firing pin indentation. Mine does the same thing.

I think the gun smith's heavy use of the live center on the lathe when he worked on our bolts has caused this.

It opens up the firing pin hole a bit and let the primer metal flow into the space. He told me if it is too bad he might need to bush the firing pin hole.

He said it was a fault with Remington bolts but as yours is not a Remington then it makes me think?????

Anyone elso have an opinion about this?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

Some exceptional advice here and in particuler from Joel. (You can) know the reason if you will pour a cast of the chamber prior to doing anything with any smith.

However, there are any number of us on here in particuler Shawn who can give you the Edge measurements that your case should have. Compare that data with your fired case. Then ask for a refund if the smith is at fault and go somewhere else.

The reason I say this is I know a guy that went to a smith????? because he could get a chamber job for less than half the going rate. Exact same problem as you indicate so took it back to the same guy with the exact same problem happening again. He then took the gun to a retired officer friend of mine who just happened to have gauges for the caliber.

It was a Savage rifle and when the bolt was closed they could rattle the no go gauge back and forth. Pulled the barrel dropped in the gauge and it was flush with the breach of the barrel. Savage protrusion of case out of breach .125!

I am very glad you are able to type this information. Thank you so much for reminding us.

Neal