Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

I am having a problem with a new .338 Edge rifle that I just picked up from a gun smith. It is a Remington 700 built on a Sendero SF II platform.

The rifle will not fire.

With a bullet seated off the lands, the firing pin leaves no indentation in the primer and the case will not eject as the rim has not engaged under the extractor clip.

With an empty, brand new case chambered, the extractor will not ride over the rim when the bolt is closed. The case just remains in the chamber. If I raise the rifle the case just falls out.

I tried to seat a bullet out so that it was into the lands. I had hoped that the bullet seated into the lands would hold the case base against the bolt face. I hoped that this would enable me to fire form the cases but the rifle still would not fire. As you can imagine, with a .338 Edge this is not very good for the nerves to have a miss fire.

As the primer had no firing pin indentation, it looks like there was not enough case neck tension and the bullet was pushed back down into the case as I chambered it. This I think meant that the rim did not slip over the extractor clip again.

From these tests. I would assume that the head space of the chamber is too long.

Any ideas what to do next?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

Until otherwise known, I would also assume, for safety's sake, that there is a potentially dangerous headspace issue and take the rifle directly back to the smith. I wouldn't try to use the firearm at all. Hope you get it figured out soon! Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Well I just managed to get it to go bang.

I had to take the bolt out, wedge a live round under the extractor rim then load both the bullet and bolt as one unit from the rear.

The live round had the bullet seated way out to be into the lands, so as to hold the cartridge against the bolt face.

Holding the bullet in place I chambered it and got it to fire. I don't mind saying that I was shitting myself as I pulled the trigger.

Man that case stretched. It now has a very short neck. I would say that the case shoulder moved forward over 0.080".

I rang the gun smith and he is going to fix the problem, right away.

This is a good way to develope a bad flinch.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Bronze Member

Man that was a pretty silly thing to do, your very lucky that case didnt seperate. The problem was a no brainer excessive head space to the extreme, seating the bullet into the lands may have taken up the excess and allowed the firing pin to do its job but that brass is going to flow foward until it either stops where it should have been to begin with or seperates. And some people on here rubbish remington cases they carnt be to bad can they. Glad nothing bad happed anyway, i dont know who built that gun for you but to allow it to go out of the workshop like that is unforgivable. Good luck with it the edge is a fine cartridge.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

[QUOTE=Topshot;321927

I rang the gun smith and he is going to fix the problem, right away.

[/QUOTE]

I believe I would get a refund on the chambering fee, and find another gunsmith.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

In my opinion, find another 'smith. You'll probably never know why this happened, but on this rifle it was grossly negligent, or incompetent.

Why ?

1. Huge mistake on headspace. There are at least 3 test stages during chambering that will
catch headspacing error. I don't know how anyone could miss all of them.
2. He couldn't have tested it for feeding and extraction. It would have done the same
that it did to you. Even without firing, it still would have failed to pick up the rim and extract.
3. It should have been test fired before turning it over to you. All of the problems you have
would be discovered when it wouldn't fire. Even though some shooters want to do all the
barrel break-in, any custom rifle should be test fired by the builder, with agreement in
in advance, especially a boomer.
4. I don't want to pile on, but jmden and Big Mick got it right, you should never have fired it. You
can get away with a lot of mistakes on a .22 Hornet, but not a boomer like the Edge.
Extremely dangerous. You were very lucky.

Joel posted while I was writing this novel. He got it in one sentence.

Good luck and good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 10-17-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Joel's post
Old 10-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

No doubt----you need a Gunsmith not a Blacksmith!