Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

need some advice from the pros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: need some advice from the pros

My recommendation would be to just clean it up and shoot it. After you change the barrel and the
stock it wont be your grandfathers rifle any more.

If you want a custom rifle, build yourself one and keep the old rifle as near as it was but still
safe and functional.

The 222 is a great little round a can be very accurate and fun to shoot.

As a grandfather myself I love to see my kids enjoy some of my old rifles and hope they
take care of them and leave them as they are. (Just sentimental I guess.

You can find a don er rifle and build what you want for a couple of hundred dollars more than
you can strip your granddaddy's rifle and change it.

I have "Restored" many rifles to as near as original as possible and the customers were glad
I talked them out of a total rebuild .

I have also Customized old rifles and there owners have later said they loved the way it shoots
but they wished they had left it alone or just gone through it.

Most old rifles have never been cleaned properly and can benefit greatly from a good cleaning.

When I was a kid I never cleaned my rifles except to wipe the outside down with oil, and later
in life I would run a swab through the bore with some Hoppe's #9 and remove the dirt and
powder fouling and I was done.

It was not until I started match shooting that I learned the value of a good cleaning.

So IMO clean it up and enjoy it for what it is/was "Your grandfathers rifle". and after you build
your custom rifle you can let him shoot it if he is still able.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-18-2011, 12:53 PM
SPONSOR

I kinda' agree with JE. And, if you know what the wind will do to a .17 cal., why bother? But, it's your rifle to do as you wish with it. Availability would be the main reason to go with .223 instead of .222. When you get into the 'not so common' wildcats, be prepared to buy the reamer. And, I'm no fan of "Richards Micro-Fit". Pretty wood won't make up for poor workmanship.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

17s are just fun haha and i have his 22 and 12 guage and those i fixed up and made them look pretty and there over the fire place and i just want one that i can have fun shooting every once it a while. It would still be no mater how you look at it still be the gun my grandpa gave me it would just look different just like the 22 and the 12 gauge haha. But anyway i would like to know some web pages for stocks. I want a walnut stock but want it to have a unique look to it if you know what i mean. Also what would the price tag be on a reamer for a 17-222. I will be Having Nathan Dagly (SSG) doing the work and i know he dosent have the reamer so i would just buy it and let him have it.
thanks for the help so far everyone