Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

need some advice from the pros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

need some advice from the pros

My Grandpa gave me his old savage 340c 222 and i have a interesting plan for this but i dont know if its even possable. First of all ill have to find someone to build me a stock for this jem. Second i dont know if you can get aftermarket barrels for this or if id have to have that make aswell (might get expencive haha) But anyway i would like to turn this into a eye catching 17-222. Think it would be fun to shoot and would really like to take it out with the boys and show off grandpas weapon . . . . just looking to see if this is at all possable
any advice would be awesome
thanks guys
Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 PM

Re: need some advice from the pros

A savage 340 is a great little rifle. It sounds like you are planning on building a custom rifle using your grandpas rifle, but when you are finished you will have a new rifle with grandpa's action. Now to answer your questions. A custom stock can be built for just about anything,for a price. Good walnut stocks can cost thousands, Composite stocks can cost almost as much. I dont know of any semi-custom stock builders inleting for the 340, You could check with Richards Microfit stocks, if you can reach them. We can fit a barrel to almost any action, if it is safe to chamber the cartridge in that action. You should probably plan on spending 250-300 on the barrel plus another 150 minimum on the barrel fitting. I haven't even said anything about all those other small things that add up so fast, like blueing, trigger, scope mount ect. I hope I am not discouraging you, but I see people every week with a dream and little idea of the costs involved. May I propose another solution? The 222 is a fantastic cartridge, how about keeping the factory barrel, refinishing the factory stock ( a great project for a do it yourselfer ) , and having the metal refinished. You would end up with a great little rifle. What ever you choose good luck and good hunting.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

Any company with a duplicator can inlet the stock off your existing stock.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

i know a little bit about what kind of money is going to be involved iv got my self one custom and another getting built and that does dont scare me to much. And it will still be the gun that grandpa gave me it will just get used more and look amazing. But do you personally think the 340 is capable 17-222 or should i be researching different options? I just liked the fact that the 222 was still part of it and that i just added my personal touch.
thanks a ton for the help
Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 AM

The 17-222 should be no problem, even feed from your mag.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:24 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Any company with a duplicator can inlet the stock off your existing stock.
Some damage will occur to your original stocks exterior finish (because of the stylis that 'rides' the pattern). It probably won't be "drop in". The 17-222 operates at the same chamber pressures as the .222 Rem. Why not 17-223? Do you live in an area with consistant light winds?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

no i live in north dakota lol so wind is usually nasty but i have a hmr and iv had alot of fun with that whats so much better about the 17-223?