Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

need a smith to build a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Gold Member

need a smith to build a rifle

Hi guy
Im looking For a gun smith build my first custom Rifle.
Im in Idaho.
IM looking to build a long range varmit rifle most shots will be out to around 700 yards but I would like it to be able to get to around 1000 (at least at steel)
I am wanting a flat shooting fast caliber I am thinking 6.5 creedmoor or something in that range, was looking at some of the Lazzeronis but not sure.
Any one have suggestion on a good builder.
thanks
retiredcpo
Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Re: need a smith to build a rifle

retiredcpo,

Do you reload, can you perform minor modifications to brass such as neck turning or do you plan on using factory brass or loads?

Asking for a gunsmith recommendation will net you dozens of opinions about who, where and why. The best are all booked for 6 months at least, some upwards of 9 months to a year depending. Every shooting/hunting website has their favorites so visiting several sites will get you a broader selection of builders. Don't forget to check barrel makers either since some like Hart will build a very nice, accurate rifle using their barrels of course. Or maybe action makers such Kelbly's.

My suggestion for a cartridge is based on 3 years experience shooting the 6.5mm RSAUM for long range hunting, varmints and competition. There is some brass prep necessary for necking 7mm RSAUM brass down and turning the necks a little but once that's done, it's just a matter of standard reloading practices.

Using slower, cooler burning powders will yield high velocities as well as longer barrel and brass life. The case capacity allows you to use the heavier, longer, higher BC bullets for those shots where you need to stretch it out. I'm using DBM for most shooting, however you can select another aftermarket box for the hinged bottom metal to allow you to seat the bullets out a bit more.

Enjoy the research!

Regards.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

There are many good midsize 6.5s that should do what you want.
some more choices are,

6.5x47 Lapua. 260 Remington, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 x55 Swedish, 6.5x284 Norma.

There are larger 6.5s but they are not necessary for your purpose.

The 6.5x47 Lapua seems to be very accurate and has the best brass of all, and you can buy it and the brass from Lapua.

The 260 Remington is also a good performer (308 win necked down to 6.5) and brass and ammo is readily available.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

I was on a list for 3 years waiting for a custom build, 22-250. It turned out well, 'birds eye' maple stock & all.

I know you have to pick through any advertised, but I'd also keep an eye on classifieds, maybe on Armslist , The Varmint Hunters magazine and other sources.

Like a lot of things, one often spends more $$ on a custom build that you can easily recoup with a sale. With a local sale you could probably even do a trial shoot before buying. Just an idea.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

Im starting to lean towards the 6.5-284.
weighing my options really would like atleast one full custom rifle
But I know if I do a factory gun I can save a lot maybe even buy two.
Also considering a AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor
This is for my 50th B day so I think it needs to be special.
retiredcpo
Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

The 6.5x284 is an excellent choice. I like any of these that can get Lapua brass. To get to 1000 bigger is better.

JE, what makes the 6.5x47 any better than any other Lapua brass?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
The 6.5x284 is an excellent choice. I like any of these that can get Lapua brass. To get to 1000 bigger is better.

JE, what makes the 6.5x47 any better than any other Lapua brass?
Nothing at all. It is just one of the Lapua cartridges in 6.5 (And a very good one).Currently they make brass in 6.5 Grendel,
6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Remington, 6.5x55 SE and 6.5-284. all good choices for what the poster wanted.

I still use other brass when I cant get Lapua, but It actually ends up being cheaper than other brass because it last so much longer.

J E CUSTOM