Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Need help choosing action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Need help choosing action

I'm planning a 7mm Rem Mag build. Will be used for moose/caribou and target, hopefully out to 800-1000yds. I'd like to purchase the rifle this summer, hunt with it through the winter and build it up next spring.
I'm thinking I'll use a savage action, for ease of swapping barrels. I'll also be adding a bottom metal kit, and a manners stock later on as well. I'm not really sure what differences are in the actions. I'm looking to buy a bare-bones model, because I'll be replacing the stock and barrel after the hunting season, but I also want a good action as starting point for the build. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need help choosing action

They have a package series that comes with a Nikon scope at a street price of ~$500. Great start to a rifle project. The scope is actually pretty decent for a package gun and can always be used on a loaner rifle or a 22 or something. Sell the stock and barrel when you get a new one and get CDI bottom metal with AI mags.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinarms View Post
They have a package series that comes with a Nikon scope at a street price of ~$500. Great start to a rifle project. The scope is actually pretty decent for a package gun and can always be used on a loaner rifle or a 22 or something. Sell the stock and barrel when you get a new one and get CDI bottom metal with AI mags.
Thanks sinarms!

I hadn't planned on buying a package as I have a new 6-24x50 Tasco here I picked up for $50. I can always put the Nikon on my 22-250 so I'll have to swing by the hunting store and check them out! Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinarms View Post
I assume you mean the 10/110 Trophy hunter? That package isn't available here in Canada, we can only get it with the weaver scope. That's not really a big deal as I really want the right action to build on.