Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Need Advice Glass Bedding a Winchester M70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Advice Glass Bedding a Winchester M70

Yep, for sure an Icon goes in a noodle stock...

It seems to me you suffer from foot in mouth disease....
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

You got me there , I didn't know they made them with wood stocks too. And what does this have to do with bedding a model 70 ? Other than proving that you have a deep knowledge of Icon marketing and models I don't see how it applies to the subject at hand.

To the original poster I'm sorry for this silly argument and I'm out.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

The common theme is that it is (was) a current FLAT BOTTOMED ACTION and the OP wanted ideas how to bed his flat bottomed action. 40 years ago, using bedding blocks was not quite "in vogue" and the OP has more options today than ever.

Looks like Winchester learned this lesson themselves: America Outdoors - The Aluminum Revolution

Quote:
To see what we mean, you need look no further than a class of affordable heavy-barreled bolt actions, such as the $705 Remington Model 700VS Varmint Synthetic and Winchester's Model 70 Synthetic Heavy Varmint, $764, to find more sub-inch guns. Recent testing we conducted with these models in .223 Remington found they shot half-inch 100-yard five-shot average groups with at least one ammo brand.

Not surprisingly, the Winchester Model 70 Synthetic Heavy Varmint included pillar bedding and a full-length aluminum block, machine-cut to fit the receiver, and built into the composite stock. Winchester calls this the Pillar Plus Accu Block bedding system, and it includes glass bedding around the front and rear stock screw area of the receiver.

A satin stainless-steel finish on the gun's 26-inch free-floated barrel contrasted nicely with the blued receiver. A 0.87-inch-thick muzzle diameter accounted for much of the gun's 10-pound, 4-ounce weight. At the range, our best five-shot group average (five total groups) with this gun came with PMC's 55-grain hollow-point boattail bullet: 0.38 inches.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks for your responses. I didn't mean to start an argument about this. After reading about aluminum block bedding, I can see the advantages. But Daveinjax raises a good point about the cost being a factor in deciding to forgo that for now. My main question was what to do about that barrel ring and both of you gave the same answer. Free float it and see how it shoots. It will be easier to bed that later if it needs it than to remove the bedding if it causes a problem.

BTW Westcliffe01, attached is a better picture of the receiver. Don't know if it changes anything, but I thought I would post it.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Need Advice Glass Bedding a Winchester  M70-winchester-70-007.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

I expected it would have 3 screws. Do you plan on using pillars for the action screws ? If you do that it should give you the lateral stability you need, at least on the first and last action screws. It will also take the compression of the action screws out the wood and change the variability that causes with changes in humidity.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

I hadn't planned on using pillars but now I think that is a good idea. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:04 PM

I also have one I need to bed and was hoping to find advice from someone who has done it.

As for pillars, I know they are all the rage but I've had pretty good results bedding the entire action and the bottom metal. Nothing moves - moisture or no moisture.

Anyway, my hunch would've been to free float on both sides of he barrel band by using bedding tape there and leave the barrel band in contact, using surgical tubing to hold it all together. If I don't like the result, it's easy enough to remove the cured bedding compound under the band......

If the OP comes by here again, I'd sure like to know what you did and how it turned out.