Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

My new video on how to bed the Remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Bronze Member

Re: My new video on how to bed the Remington 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Just one criticism. You failed to stress how critical it is for stress-free bedding -- to wear that special, cool looking hat.

Where can one buy such a cool looking hat?
Well Len, I believe that they are available via the online store at longrangehunting.com! be sure to check them out..

Long Range Hunting Caps

Phil
Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
On a side note, I watched another of your videos and am curious how the bedded rail with 5 minute epoxy turned out after some use. I think you mentioned it was only on a 243 right?

Scot E.
The 5min epoxy worked out just fine, the screws were torqued down snug with loctite after the epoxy set, so no worries there. The main reason for using the epoxy is to prevent the base from warping as it conforms to the shape of the action, this saves any stresses being induced. Stresses in the base/action become more of a problem as temperatures change causing a wondering POI. Where I am in Canada we have extremely hot summers and terribly cold winters, so I can attest to the performance improvements of a totally stress free rifle.

Phil
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

My speakers are broken. So, I didn't get to enjoy the drill press. But, I did appreciate the captions including the humor. I'm also with Len regarding the contrast.

I apologize if you covered this, but my understanding is that metallic pillars are there to prevent compression of the stock between the floorplate and reciever over time which might otherwise affect harmonics/accuracy.

The first concept I struggle with is that different materials expand/contract at different rates (aluminum, steel, brass, fiberglass, JB, Devcon...). Is it insignificant here? Or, does anyone consider this a problem?

I suppose that's a minimal issue as this is a common method.

However, with the reciever and barrel indexing off of the rear tang and barrel tape, it doesn't seem that you are assured of full contact between your bottom metal and pillars. Is this intentional/desireable? Or, am I just knit picking?

thanks,
Richard
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for posting that.

I just bought the same stock for my M70 270WSM and planned on doing the same thing to it.

I like the pillars I will probably do mine the same way!!

I have a lathe though so I don't get to make fancy noises with the drill press.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
My speakers are broken. So, I didn't get to enjoy the drill press. But, I did appreciate the captions including the humor. I'm also with Len regarding the contrast.

I apologize if you covered this, but my understanding is that metallic pillars are there to prevent compression of the stock between the floorplate and reciever over time which might otherwise affect harmonics/accuracy.

The first concept I struggle with is that different materials expand/contract at different rates (aluminum, steel, brass, fiberglass, JB, Devcon...). Is it insignificant here? Or, does anyone consider this a problem?

I suppose that's a minimal issue as this is a common method.

However, with the reciever and barrel indexing off of the rear tang and barrel tape, it doesn't seem that you are assured of full contact between your bottom metal and pillars. Is this intentional/desireable? Or, am I just knit picking?

thanks,
Richard
Yes the pillars are there to prevent stock compression and to prevent the stock changing the rifles POI as the wood expands/contracts.

In answer to your second question, the pillars are in full contact with both the reciever and the bottom metal, that part is critical. Yes the properties of the different materials used in the process will expand/contract at different rates, but nowhere near the same as wood which is the most important aspect in getting consistant accuracy with a wood stocked rifle. I would not consider it an issue.

Lastly, the measurement for the final length of the pillars is determined after the barrel tape is applied, then 0.005'' is added to that number to ensure all metal to metal contact.

Phil
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post
I have a lathe though so I don't get to make fancy noises with the drill press.
What, you don't like my Cummins powered drill press?

You'll have to show us your progress with the bedding job. I love Model 70 rifles, great caliber choice too, I hear it's inherantly accurate!

Phil
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip140 View Post
Yes the pillars are there to prevent stock compression and to prevent the stock changing the rifles POI as the wood expands/contracts.

In answer to your second question, the pillars are in full contact with both the reciever and the bottom metal, that part is critical. Yes the properties of the different materials used in the process will expand/contract at different rates, but nowhere near the same as wood which is the most important aspect in getting consistant accuracy with a wood stocked rifle. I would not consider it an issue.

Lastly, the measurement for the final length of the pillars is determined after the barrel tape is applied, then 0.005'' is added to that number to ensure all metal to metal contact.

Phil
I didn't catch the part where you measured after the barrel was taped and added .005". I'll have to watch again when I get some speakers.

I saw another video where the guy cut one or both pillars short and then in half and sandwiched them with devcon in between. I didn't quite understand why he didn't just build his pillars all the way through with devcon.

thanks!
richard