Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Muzzle Break Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM

Muzzle Break Help

I have 2 Savages that I need to put a muzzle break on each. One is a 300WSM and the other is a 7 Mag. Both are the standard barrel. The recoil is alittle rough and they need help.
What would you recommend that I put on them.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle Break Help

Mine

Home Page
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

Check out the muzzle master by Richard Buss. I had the adjustable tactical installed on two 300 Weatherby's. I'm in the process of adjusting them to control the barrel harmonics at the moment. Richard a great guy and does top notch work.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 PM

They both look nice. Do they have bolt on breaks that are worth a crap? I am going to have a smith do them.

Do either of these do the smithing?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
+1. Got my 300wm barrel threaded and timed yesterday. Got to pick it up today.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

I always recommend Nathan's (4 port) or Ross's (3 port) brakes when someone is in need of a gill style brake. And their prices are VERY good.
If someone is opposed to the brake being significantly larger in diameter than their sporter weight barrel, and they aren't worried about exit gasses kicking up dirt when shooting prone, then I usually recommend a Harrel's Precision brake. Also a good brake, fairly priced.
I wouldn't recommend any clamp on brake unless the rifle/brake were offered as a package. Like the Sako TRG set up. For a brake to be efficient and not reduce accuracy potential they need to be fitted properly.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

IdahoCTD, thanks for speaking up and for the link. Good looking brakes, and an easy to navigate, enjoyable site.

Edjfadz, I haven't tried one of Buss's adjustables, but I have installed 2 salvaged Browning / Winchester BOSS's on a .340 Weatherby and a 7mm STW. I never got the .340 to shoot until I cranked the BOSS all the way in and locked it there. I had burned 40 - 50 rounds of expensive factory ammo and handloads trying to tune it in. All loads were 250gr Nosler Partitions in Wby brass, so I wasn't jumping around with different bullets and brass, just different powder charges and primers. It had a good barrel, Shilen, and screwed down and locked, became a sub moa shooter with that bullet.

The 7 STW is a Win M-70 Classic with a refitted and rechambered 7 Mag Rem 700 barrel. With the BOSS screwed in and locked down, it also is a sub moa shooter.

Gnab2, for drilled brakes, I like the Vais. For side-ported brakes, I like the Holland, but they're twice as expensive as Shuler's or CTD's brakes. I'm going to have to try CTD's 4 and 5 port brakes.

I sure got long-winded for what could have been one short answer.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time