Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Muzzle Brake Removal Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

Muzzle Brake Removal Question

Hey Fellas,

When I try to remove my muzzle brake to clean it and my barrel it is a huge pain in the rear. I built a strap type wrench but it wont grip tight enough most of the time to remove. I usually end up wrapping it with a piece of material and using channel locks which has left some marks on it.

Is there a better way to do this, also is anyone familliar with this type of brake as far as who may have manufactured it? Sorry for the low res photo.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Muzzle Brake Removal Question-0128140625.jpg   Muzzle Brake Removal Question-0128140626.jpg  

Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle Brake Removal Question

Use the back end of a tight fitting drill bit and drop it in one of the holes.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Find a steel round rod that is just under the size of the ports and insert it through both sides. A ground off screwdriver might work if it had a good fit. You want something close to the same size as the holes.

After cleaning use a heavy grease (wheel bearing) or anti seize on the threads to reinstall. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!! Just snug it up. Over tightening on that small of a barrel contour can easily compress the end of the barrel causing a tight spot. I only would take it on and off if absolutely necessary.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Bronze Member

The photos dont show it but the holes are angle drilled and you cant pass an object straight through. Possibly though I could come in from each side and get enough torque to get it to break free. Good idea on the never sieze. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Bronze Member

I use a brass rod the same size of ports,works great.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

There is not really a need to take it off. Most rifles they are not intended to come off.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Sometimes you need to take some brakes off to clean them (The side ported brakes can be cleaned in place) and also occasionally you may get a cleaning patch stuck in one and need to take the brake off.

I recommend using Never seize on the threads to keep them from wearing screwing them on and off
(Some do this every time they clean) and in the event you have to take the brake you can do so with
reasonable ease.

I also recommend removing them occasionally Just to clean the threads and lube them to prevent them from seizing, (bore solvents tend to remove any lubricants) .

I use aluminum flat bar in the ports to remove the ported brakes and drills or taper pins on the drilled brakes. A light tap on the tool with a mallet will normally remove it with ease.

If you don't ever remove it, at some point it may not come off and a Gun Smith will have to machine
it off and may have to re-thread the barrel.

Just My opinion, From having to remove brakes that have never been removed since installation.

J E CUSTOM