Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Montana gunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Montana gunsmith

Anyone have any work done by Dennis Olsen of Montana? I have a Sako 995 rifle in 30-378, and would like to try having a 338 Kahn built on it.

I don't know who is familiar with these recievers in my state of Idaho. I know Ray Romain works on them, and I was thinking of possibly asking Kirby allen or Dennis Olsen.

Any suggestions who could make a good go of this?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Montana gunsmith

I know Dennis and had some work done by him before i started building my own. He is a good smith, you will have no problems with him.

I can not speak of his experience with the Sako receivers however.

Good guy, kind of gruff, not one to talk alot but does quality work from what I have seen. He built a 6-284 that I still have that has taken a fair number of chucks past 1K.

I have been known to build a decent rock thrower from time to time as well however!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Bronze Member

I had bought a 22-250AI built on a 40X by Dennis Olson and it was quality work. Purchased used and I ended up tearing it apart before I shot it but previous owner claimed it a shooter. John King at Kila,MT(just outskirts of west Kalispell has a super rep for building 1000yd rifles around there. Has done 2 rifles for twin brother in Kali and both are shooters. Dave Gentry at Belgrade, hell MT is full of good smiths. Then there is that guy southwest of Great Falls. Cannot seem to remember his name but seems he is always on some forum posting about these hard kicking inventions of his. Thinks he is an inventor but I sometimes wonder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If I think of his handle I will post it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who is familiar with these recievers in my state of Idaho.
Any suggestions who could make a good go of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaun Carlock is in Idaho and is known to have built some very accurate long range rigs..... Every one that were listed above are good as well........
Old 05-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

"Shaun Carlock is in Idaho and is known to have built some very accurate long range rigs..... Every one that were listed above are good as well"

+1

My dad drove his rifle up to Shawn a couple weeks ago to get a 338 EDGE built. Cant wait to get her back!! Should be a shooter for sure!!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

I talked to Shawn about working on a Sako 995 reciever, and he seemed rather reluctant to want to do something like this. That is the feeling I got anyway. I did take his shooting class and really had a ball in the rain and want to do a unique EDGE project with him in the future.

As for Mr. King, I have heard splendid things about him.

Mr. Gentry has an awesome machine shop that is very impressive and has installed one of his brakes on my rifle. The brake was beautifully done, but the thread on the end of my barrel looked like they were done with plumbing tools, weren't smooth, and some thread actually were broken. It looked like it was a rush job without lubrication. I never complained, but needless to say, I could do better work myself. I am NOT going back to him.

I don't know didly about Kirby Allen other than he has contacted me about his 338 Allen Xpress, and it is about exactly what I was looking for. Has anyone had any projects by Mr. Allen, and if so how was your satisfaction with the end product?

I have this 995 sitting around and something useful needs to be done with it. That 338 Xpress sounds like a useful and practical way to go with this dust gathering 995 Sako.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had any projects by Mr. Allen, and if so how was your satisfaction with the end product?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have had Kirby do a lot of work for me. He built a full blown custom gun, a 7mm AM for me. He also did some major work for my hunting buddy on his rifle, a 270 AM. From day one, from start to finish, there was not one single incident, conversation, decision or actual work done that was not absolutely top notch.

I have mailed so many packages to Kirby that I should have purchased a seat on a plane and I would have really racked up frequent flier miles. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] After playing musical chairs with barrels on a certain gun, it got to the point where when I walked into the local UPS store they knew what I was shipping and where it was going. I have even driven to Montana to hand deliver and have inspected a particular custom rifle.

If I had it all to do over again I'd change nothing that I've done with Kirby. And, if you knew some of the stuff the two of us have put up with, that's saying a lot. He's gone to hell and back to make sure I've been happy and got what I wanted. I consider Kirby to be a top notch gunsmith and am 100% happy and satisfied with all work he's done for me. I'd send, or hand deliver, any gun work I needed done, on any gun I own, to him before I'd let anyone else touch it. I do have to say though, if for some reason Kirby couldn't work something in I'd not hesitate to run it up to Shawn Carlock. I've seen his work and heard people's comments about his work. I also know that Kirby recommends him highly and that says it all.

I guess you could say I'm a satisfied customer of APS.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]